Truely Rare breeds

Ducks and Banny hens

Songster
8 Years
Nov 22, 2011
On a little Farm.
It's come to my attention that there must be dozens of new breeds from all the corners of the continent, but if one wishes to learn about all of them, that becomes very troublesome, if not nearly impossible. So I've decided to start a thread here for you to post photos and information about a local breed you know of (or originated). Now, I should make it clear that this isn't a thread for 'Rare breeds'; the kind of birds you see on feathersite or can buy from a hatchery -- this is a thread for birds that nobody else has access to and probably very few know of. Have fun. I have a few local breeds, so I'll be back.

Last edited:
In case some of you didn't make the connection, the above photos are of the Double-Laced Sebright (also called the Ashen). This breed is slightly bigger than true sebrights, and hase very strong plum-pigment in the skin; hence the name Ashen. They lay white eggs. I don't know at all how many exist. My honest guess would be below 15. No, that wasn't a typo. They are very suprisingly a 'landrace' (the heritage of the DLS had no interference or planning from humans), thought to have been spawned from a Bow Lake fowl / Sebright cross. They have almost perfect sebright type, but the double-lacing is not as it is in Dark Cornish or Barnevelders; it is slightly different genetically (having an e+ base)

It's come to my attention that there must be dozens of new breeds from all the corners of the continent, but if one wishes to learn about all of them, that becomes very troublesome, if not nearly impossible. So I've decided to start a thread here for you to post photos and information about a local breed you know of (or originated). Now, I should make it clear that this isn't a thread for 'Rare breeds'; the kind of birds you see on feathersite or can buy from a hatchery -- this is a thread for birds that nobody else has access to and probably very few know of. Have fun. I have a few local breeds, so I'll be back.

Is the thread for Rare or New Breeds?
Your thread header states, "Truly Rare" and then you state New Breeds, as you may know just because a breed is new doesn't make it rare.

Chris

It is a thread for Really, Really, Really rare breeds, new or old, and specifically the unfamilliar. I should go re-write that -- I did mean really rare breeds. Breeds, like the one I listed already, that are only kept alive by a couple of people and can only boast dangerously low population numbers. This is why I haven't (and probably won't) listed Bow Lake fowl here; ere they are only a few years old, they are already stable in quantity, and they are fairly well-known; especcially this fall -- Feathersite has agreed to recognise them when it can be proven that they breed true. Most truely rare breeds here in Canada and the U.S. are new breeds (though, like you said, new breeds can take off fast). This thread is also for the Old, truely rare breeds (which mostly come from europe, it seems), old Landraces and the like. An example of one of the breeds that would fit in here, would be the Mos. I don't know anything about the Mos except that they're squirrel-tailed. You (or whoever's reading this) might not even have heard of the Mos. That's what I made this thread for. The only problem is, of course, so few people know about these types of breeds, there may not be many responses.

Back
Top Bottom