TRULY, what kinda chicks did they sell me ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cindylouNC, Mar 24, 2013.

1. [​IMG] My husband and I purchased 6 pullets 3 weeks ago from TSC. They were supposed to be from a possible 4 breeds, RIR, Red SexLink, NH Red or Barred Rock Red ? and alllllll 6 of these girls are still White-ish/yellow. Does any one know if they could still grow into their RED?

Thanks for the help.

Signed -
    Waitin', watchin' and wonderin' [​IMG]

2. critterwhisper

critterwhisper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    I have 3 breeds you listed[​IMG] my RIR & Redsexlinks they were about two weeks maybe in this picture.they are now over a month .now my barred rocks(the black chicks with white on their wings they are about two weeks now[​IMG]

3. critterwhisper

critterwhisper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    Sorry the bottom pic of my barred rocks isnt a very good pic

4. Bellatrixed

Bellatrixed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2013
    Do you have any pictures? You can find chick pictures of all those breeds listed online, though I've never heard of a Barred Rock Red [​IMG] Barred Rocks are black with white "bars" on their feathers.

At 3 weeks they should be growing in feathers... what color are the feathers?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  5. their feathers are white and we are wondering if we have female "foghorn" Leghorns.....[​IMG]

I'll post some pictures shortly...thanks everyone !

6. [​IMG]
    Here they are 3 weeks ago when we brought them home from the store. They told us they were approx. 4-5 days old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These bottom two pics I just took a few minutes ago.....I told my DH, it'd be just my luck they sold me DUCKS......hahaha.....I know they aren't I'm not that city-fied.

Thanks again for your help.

7. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

They appear to be White Leghorns or some sort of mix as there shouldn't be yellow as yours have if they are true White Leghorns. The wings look like
    WL though.

It is my experience that if a chick is supposed to be a certain color when it grows up - the coloring as a chick is even darker. Next time it would be a good idea to be more familiar with the way different breeds or hybrids look as chicks so you will not be sold one thing and believe it is something else as you will have educated yourself enough to 'know that difference'.

They look very robust and healthy - that is important.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. achickschirp

achickschirp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    they look like leghorns...... They look exactly like the one in Springdale,Arkansas TSC

9. Bellatrixed

Bellatrixed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2013
    They look identical to my white leghorns. [​IMG] At least you got a great egg producing breed, but I know how frustrating it must be to want one thing and get something else entirely! I have heard so many stories like this about TSC chicks... it's really unfortunate.

10. achickschirp

achickschirp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    exactly I'm getting chicks too and I was going to TSC. Until I read the threads on this site about them. I'm going to Orscheln instead

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by