Trust Egg-o-Meter or thermometer temp?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by perolane, Jul 10, 2010.

1. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    I currently have 10 bantam eggs on day 13 in my LG styrofoam w/ forced air. I have a Springfield digital that reads temp & humidity....and an egg-o-meter. I checked readings on both of these before starting in a larger incubator for 2 days & both are correct...matching read-outs on those. I'm doing a dry hatch & humidity levels are perfect.

Haven't thought about it when candling...all are developing. Then duh...last night when candling which would be day 12, I realised the eggs aren't as far along as they should be. I checked out some of the candling pics here just to be sure, & they look more like day 10 eggs. My temp readings are 99.4 on both the digital & egg-0-meter (reading outside temp on egg-o-meter)....BUT...when I switched over to INSIDE temp of egg-o-meter, it's reading 77.7 [​IMG]

So...at this point, do I up the bator temp to get the inside egg temp right???? Or do I just let it ride as is & expect a slow hatch?? Suggestions??

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  2. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    wow. i sent my egg-o-meter back for a refund. it was the first they came out with. i cooked a bator full of eggs on my second time using it . i would up the temp one degree and use the digital for temp readings. no higher than 100.5 i now use the brinsea spot check thermometer. very accurate. i wasnt pleased at all with the egg-o-meter. good luck

3. crossedwires

crossedwires Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    i would be highly suspicious that the temp was actualy 77, if the other one is reading 99 go with that. the development diff between day 10 and 12 is very small and normaly takes alot of experiance to notice plus no 2 eggs develop exactly the same so............... if they look ok when you candle them then they probaly are. i think any slightly retarded development will be down to the temp being slightly on the low side but you wouldnt have any development if it were 77. personaly i would leave the temp as it is

4. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Thanks all...I appreciate it!! Since both air temp readings are spot on...I think I'll just leave as is. You're right Crossedwires...if it really was 77, nothing would have developed [​IMG]. Now why didn't I think of that!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by