Trust my broody goose?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by triggfamily5, May 21, 2010.

1. triggfamily5

triggfamily5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Moorcroft, WY
    Should I trust my broody goose on if her eggs are still viable?

I don't have an exact time of when she started sitting on her eggs, but I know for sure she was sitting by 4/16.. shouldn't she have hatched by now, it's been 35 days minimum? (I think she may have been up to 1 week before that)

Should I kick her off her nest and throw out her eggs? She is definitely not tame, so I can't just take her eggs from her to check and put back.

2. blissdragon

blissdragon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Eugene
    Sometimes those goosies will act like they're setting at first without actually fluffing out the feathers and warming the eggs...like practice for actual setting. So, it is possible she'll hatch em any day.
    And, they might not be fertile or another problem may have arisen.

I just chased one of my geese off an expired nest and found that it was full of rotten, infertile eggs.

I used a broom to gently encourage her to leave her nest...she didn't like it, bit it, and flapped at it a bunch, but she didn't bother me any other than hisses.

Dana

3. triggfamily5

triggfamily5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Moorcroft, WY
    Thank you, maybe give her a little time? I am not too worried about fertile. I have already had two geese hatch eggs, and the ones that didn't were partially developed.

I do know that she has had at least one explode on her, you can see it on one of the other eggs and smell it when she stands up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by