try to build a relationship with my chicks .. or not ???

k7ailaan

Chirping
9 Years
May 25, 2010
First of all, I hope this is the right forum.

So I've hatched my first batch two months ago and I got around 40 chicks.
I've always wanted to play with them, but coz the door is low they can escape and due to the large number, I don't.
I've tried it once, but most of them went out and I had to run around the garden trying to find them.

Anyways, So just this past week I've decided to give them treats and play with them myself, coz I don't want them to attack me later on when they get older. I free feed them, but introduced rice and salad leftovers as treats and they loved it.

So I open the door widely, most of them run away, but when I lower my hands full of rice they all come back. I've tried it few times and its getting better each time. I'm able now to open the door widely and keeping most of them inside.

The thing is whenever I try to change their water or fill their food they just attack my hands. And when they see me anytime around the day, they stand by the door crashing one another.

Does this seem fine?

What should I do differently when I get my next batch (around June 3rd)?

Thanks

Your chicks are a little older that what I recomend in my taming method. Look at my page for that technique. I think your chicks are attacking your hand when you change their water because they only know your hands are for food. Mine only think that my hands are for 'loving'. Try my way next time and I think you'll see a big difference. Hope it helps.

I guess that answers my second question .. I'll try the method with my next batch

thanks noodleroo

I'm careful not to hand feed too, it gives a bad habit to them to look at fingers for food, or as food, in some cases! I do use the same dish (actually an old frying pan) for treats for my ladies, and they know when they are getting pellets in the feeder (you can hear them groan with displeasure) or left over cereal/mashed potatoes/salad/cheese - all favourites.

I throw a lot of treats on the ground just infront of my feet and scrape at them with a finger to encourage them to try. It took them two weeks to discover bread was yummy. Although they were about 18 weeks when I got them they were very youngster-like. Now the sound of a spoon on a bowl, or the back door opening and they get in a right frenzy looking for me!

Getting them back in after a roam in the garden is easy, just throw a few rolled oats into their frying pan and let them see it in my hand, bingo.

Quote:
Agreed. I fed my chicks some plain yogurt on the end of my finger, just one time. It's painful. Then for a few days, they actively pecked at my hand thinking that that was the "goody delivery" method. Placing their food or treats on a plate or object is the way to go, don't hand feed at all.

Oh, I do hand feed my adult chickens..... just when I have shredded mozzarella cheese for them. The rest of the treats get tossed into the yard. They rush me regardless the FIRST time I come out into the run. (Their coop has an automatic door so they're up before I am.) They also rush me when I come back into the run the first time after I get home from work. They do NOT peck at my hands at other times, and they're pretty gentle when eating from my hands.

I also only put treats for chicks in a special dish for them.

To help make them less afraid of me, I handle them a few times a day. The "hand cage" with soft, warm breath against their bodies, or turning them on their backs and gently rubbing their chests and tummies are both good tactics.

Other than that, nothing much. I talk to them all the time, and the brooder is in the bathroom, so I see the chicks several times a day..... *ahem* Sometimes for quite a long period of time. If they jump to the edge of the brooder, I keep talking to 'em. I've had one or two then jump to my knees/lap.

Only a couple of the grown up chickens would be considered "lap chickens" - but I don't mind that the rest of 'em are just friendly, not necessarily affectionate.

I guess I'll back off from hand feeding them .. I know its gonna be hard, but I'll try to pick them up several times a day and play with them

thanks yall for your help

Now my new batch is out, so I'll try to avoid what i've been doing.

Now that I've stopped hand feeding them, they all stopped pecking except for a few. Now I can easily pick them up and take them out of the coop with no problems.

I noticed that few of them are afraid of me and never approach my hands or get close to me when I let them out.

I appreciate your comments .. they were very helpful.

Some are just going to be a little more apprehensive than others. Its just a hard wired defense mechanism that increases their chances of survival in nature. Not anything you're doing wrong; that just how some are...

Back
Top Bottom