Try your hand at these 14wk old silkies

Chris383

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2015
Thoughts on sex?

They both look like cocks to me because of their tops, but its really hard to tell genders on silkies.

I pay more attention to combs than crests. Sometimes skimpy crests etc, are the result of hatchery breeding. Four to five months is better for serious gender attempts, tho sometimes you won't know for sure until they crow or lay eggs.

Would like to see the combs on them next time you post photos.

Hers a direct quote from the silkie sexing thread

[/quote]Look at the feathers on the chick's head. Males tend to have feathers that stand upright and curve towards the back, while the female head feathers tend to form in a rounded feather puff.

Look at the comb when it develops within two to three weeks of the chick's birth. a male will have a larger comb than a female.

Males are significantly larger than females, and this can be obvious a few days after hatching. This isn't considered a certain method of sexing though because you may just have a large female or a small male. It's also a poor method if you are trying to compare chicks from two different genetic lines.

Listen for crowing. The chicks will start losing the fluffly baby feathers around four of five months. At that time a male silkie will start attempting to crow.

Look at the saddle feathers just before the tail and the hackle feathers on the neck. These feathers will be long and sharp on a male and gently rounded on a female.[qoute]

Now that I look at the pics. again, the white one looks to be a cock, and the brown one looks to be a female. Hope this helps. :)

Hers a direct quote from the silkie sexing thread
Look at the feathers on the chick's head. Males tend to have feathers that stand upright and curve towards the back, while the female head feathers tend to form in a rounded feather puff.

Look at the comb when it develops within two to three weeks of the chick's birth. a male will have a larger comb than a female.

Males are significantly larger than females, and this can be obvious a few days after hatching. This isn't considered a certain method of sexing though because you may just have a large female or a small male. It's also a poor method if you are trying to compare chicks from two different genetic lines.

Listen for crowing. The chicks will start losing the fluffly baby feathers around four of five months. At that time a male silkie will start attempting to crow.

Look at the saddle feathers just before the tail and the hackle feathers on the neck. These feathers will be long and sharp on a male and gently rounded on a female.[qoute]

Now that I look at the pics. again, the white one looks to be a cock, and the brown one looks to be a female. Hope this helps.
smile.png
[/QUOTE]

Agree - Let us know when you hear the crow or get an egg :)

Thanks I'll get some comb pictures but as of right now nether have much of anything developed.

Back
Top Bottom