Trying again....3 wk old chicks sneezing/stuffy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by leadwolf1, May 20, 2011.

1. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    This is the second time posting about this sneezing problem that I have with my now 3 week old chicks. It started with my naked necks and has moved to my cochins. They are in the same brooder, no discharge coming from nose or eyes. No diarrhea. No other change in behavior. Eating, drinking and playing just fine. However, they sound congested and 'wheeze' at times until they managed to sneeze until it clears. Lungs sound clear. Two naked neck peeps have had this and now it has moved to my cochin. Do peeps get colds? It has been a week and only three peeps have shown any symptoms. No signs. Any advise would be appreciated. They are on medicated feed. I switched from nonmedicated. They have acv in their drinking water. I can't think of anything else of importance. Really curious if I should be more concerned. The naked necks are all back to being perfectly normal with no more symptoms after 3 days. If anyone at all can shed some light on this I would really appreciate it.

2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Im going to bump your question because I am curious too. I have chicks (8 weeks old) with the same symptoms right now. Wheezing,sneezing,...no discharge and good appetites. I am guessing it is all the rainy weather and cold temps. I bought Duramycin 10 to give to mine starting tomorrow. Can chickens get a cold???? Or is it some scary chronic resp. disease?? [​IMG]

3. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    If it makes you feel any better, I have done a lot of research on the really nasty respiratory diseases and they all list nasal and/or eye discharge as being present. Mine show none of these symptoms. I have my brooders in my kitchen so the weather doesn't affect them much. The first to show signs, a naked neck, has recovered with no signs of problems. All are growing rapidly and enjoying their freedom to run around my kitchen [​IMG] My two sons just love to watch them playing on the floor:D

4. Up-the-Creek

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Mine are outside and our weather has been miserable for the last few weeks, raining and cold. They all are bantams and the one who was showing the first signs was my little OEGB rooster. He is eating and drinking, no dishcharge from his eyes or nose, but has been sneezing for a few days and now is wheezing pretty good. I heard a few of his housemates sneezing tonight also on my last check. I have read a lot on here about resp. problems and everyone always goes right with the CRD or something to that nature,...I am just curious if chickens do get colds.

5. Up-the-Creek

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
  6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Are they on shavings? Could they just be getting shavings dust, crumbles, etc up their nose and sneezing it out? If there are no other symptoms I wouldn't be too worried.

7. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    Thanks everyone. I woke up this morning to no sneezing, wheezing, etc. My babies never showed any other signs of illness. No change in appetite, thirst, activity, poo, etc. They are on shavings and I am coming quickly to the conclusion that my cochin is, in fact, allergic to Aspen. Although I try and use pine at all times, a few days ago, I found myself out of pine and the peeps had overturned their waterer. Not wanting cold, wet, chilled chicks, I used the Aspen I have for my chinchillas. That's when the cochin started sneezing. Unfortunately, he had to spend the day in it until I could go get the pine. It's day 2 after the aspen episode and he is no longer sneezing. This is the second time that this peep has exhibited allergy type symptoms when on Aspen. No more aspen for him! As for the naked necks? They sneezed a couple days, wheezy (no lung involvement) for a day and after 3 days are perfectly fine.

Thanks so much for the link, I will keep it available in case something nasty crops up. Good luck with your sneezing babies, seems like mine are all back to being just fine [​IMG]

Having raised just about every small furry critter imaginable, with great success, I am amazed at how quickly these little feathered babies send me screaming for help! Thanks everyone, I haven't raised peeps for over 40 years and at that time, it was my mom doing the raising [​IMG]

Right now, I am the proud mom of 4, the proud 'mom of 3 akitas, 1 shiba, 1 american bobtail, 1 guinea pig, 6 chinese hamsters(yes, we raised a litter), 9 chinchillas (we have a pet breeding colony), 2 fish tanks ( 1 tropical, 1 goldfish), 4 - 3 week old naked necks, 3 - 3 week old golden laced bantam cochins, 2 - 3 week old bantam cochin frizzles, 2 - 3 week old buff polish, 4 - 4 week old silkies, 1 - 3 week old silkie and 2 - 2 week old porcelain d'uccles.

Whew, that made me tired just typed it!!!

Thanks for being such a great, friendly, informative group that I know I can turn to with any question [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by