Trying again, how bad is this please?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dandymandie, Aug 18, 2016.

1. dandymandie

dandymandie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2015
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I don't know if this is really all that bad? I was looking for similar problems but I guess I don't know how to describe it. I noticed it last night but he had just hatched so I didn't wanna take him from under mama just yet. I checked again this morning and its dried up now. He doesn't have the best balance but otherwise seems pretty normal. What do you all think please?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm not sure what is going on with him, but it does not look 'life threatening'. Is he still with the hen or are you raising him inside. Other than the lesion on the side of his head he looks to be okay.

3. dandymandie

Mar 19, 2015
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    Oh good, thank you! I put him back under mama this morning but I am thinking about raising him and his brother inside now. I'm afraid the group of chicks that hatched before these two will peck at it.
    He is a VERY large chick. I wonder if that caused the wound in the shell.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How are things going with the chick?

5. dandymandie

Mar 19, 2015
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    Thank you for asking! He looks to be doing well. Had him inside this morning for a little bit but I didn't think he really needed it so I slipped him back under mama. He's acting like a normal chick. I'm concerned about that area getting infected since there is like no skin at all there. His eye is also kind of like slanted and smaller. I am overwhelmed with roosters but if this little guy makes it (I realllly hope he does) I'm definitely keeping him!

6. dandymandie

Mar 19, 2015
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    I've a better phone now, clearer shots of the baby. mamma Button brought the boys out yesterday. The missing skin piece looks like it is healing well. Today it is dry and sort of flakey looking. He is acting totally normal,too. His eye is misshapen. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. dandymandie

Mar 19, 2015
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by