Trying Again, installed computer fan, what should LG temperature be

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Loveoursilkies, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Loveoursilkies

Loveoursilkies Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    We lost all of our last batch of chicks, right at hatch, we just installed a computer fan, it is running great, however, I kept the temp. the same as before, right around 99.5 and it went up with the fan, I'm guessing due to the heat from it. I do not have a water wiggler, didn't know I needed one or a digital thermometer with probe, so I have 5 different thermometers and 1 digital, all reading about the same now with the fan, just wanted to know what they should be set at, gonna give this another try and pray for success, at least a few. I've learned my lesson on opening the incubator the last 3 days, with dealing with a staggered hatch, no more of that. Also, the eggs have been kept in the lower 60 degree range, up to 2 weeks, as we collected them, some may be too late, but we'll try. I have had the turner running, with the thermometers on top of it (I know it gives off heat too).

2. barnyardmommy

barnyardmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Suffolk VA
    I use a Little giant still air incubator for my hatches, so I'm not so good with info on the ones with a fan. But I think you are right at 99.5 with a fan incubator. I just would like to wish you luck with this hatch... I'm really getting that urge to hatch some eggs..... Lets see if I can control that urge until spring.

3. Loveoursilkies

Nov 21, 2012
    Thanks, we find it difficult, as the digital thermometer measures lower 99 than the rest, which are measuring closer to 101 to 102, not sure what to do, but we feel the digital may be better (there is one more that measure 99). We tried multiple thermometers checked them in water against a person's mouth thermometer, they did measure right. I believe we did so many things wrong the first time, now we are trying to get it right. Oh, and we are doing this for fun, if we really get a lot to hatch, this may be trouble, we don't really have places for them through the winter.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    [​IMG]
    What are you hatching

5. Loveoursilkies

Nov 21, 2012
    Well, had intentions of only doing silkies, but we have Aracaunas and Ameracaunas laying now, some were fertile last time but they were their first eggs and they quit before 7 days in incubator. I know, right, my daughter talked me into it, just to try everything to try to hatch, well, it will probably be harder because now I have huge eggs and little eggs in the incubator, looks like I've got it set at 99.5 to 100 on all of thermometers, we'll go with that, until we get to 7 days, I'm trying a bit of "dry" incubation, I did add water to the wells, but humidity is still low without sponges, but I read a lot of people have success with this, etc., but I'll see what they look like candling at 7 days, and see if the air pocket looks at the right stage then. Who knows, we just hope this fan helps this time and I'm not doing the staggered hatch which had us opening the incubator during "lockdown" which I know wasn't good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by