Trying again with this girl's breed-any ideas?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ksane, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I posted 3 or 4 months ago about this girl right after I got her and some said Gold Necked Marans and 1 lady said Crele (?). She's about 5-6 mo old now and is pretty good sized, she's going to be a little bigger than my sex links and she's already taller than them. She was sold to the girl I got her from as a Marans, we don't know though.
    Can anyone hazard a guess as to her breed? I've got her in with 4 Cuckoo Marans and she looks to have the same pattern as them except for the gold neck (but I'm far from an expert with color patterns). You can see the other Marans girl in the background.
    [​IMG]

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    She looks like a mix to me.

3. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Quote:She looks a bit like some of the Marans girls over there on the Marans board. Don't know if there is such a variety as a Gold Necked Marans but she does resemble some of the Black Copper pullets. You might try posting a pic of her on those boards and see if anyone can help you out.

4. Ksane

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Good suggestion, Chinchilla. I hadn't even thought of that, duh lol

5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    She definitely has barring; maybe a cross between black copper marans and cuckoo? But of course genetics is not as simple as just a meshing of colors. Beautiful bird, either way! Does she lay dark brown eggs?

6. Ksane

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:She hasn't started laying but she's close to it.

7. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    she has no feathers on her legs though?

8. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    cuckoo marans don't either...and lots of other marans varieties are also clean legged. I have three black copper marans, and one has like two feathers on each leg. Apparently the UK version was bred to be clean legged.

9. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    It is a mix. Marans are a white skinned breed. This hen has *yellow* skin which is a honking huge flag it's not a pure Marans nor could it be a cross- because yellow skin is recessive which means BOTH parents had to be at least a yellow skin carrier. Basically, a pure Marans crossed with yellow skinned bird still would throw all white skinned birds...

The "gold neck" on her is very typical of a cross between a black and either brown/red/gold chicken. For example, black sex links from cross of RIR and BR will produce blackish pullets with varying amounts of color on the neck/chest.

Ultimately may never know what she is exactly. Possibilities are Barred rock roo bred with RIR hen(which can make this exact match as for feather color plus yellow legs. This is the reverse of the typical black sex link mating which HAS to be a RIR roo over barred rock hens otherwise the chicks won't be sexable at hatch), or two sex links bred together, or even maran cross parents bred to each other and so on...

10. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:interesting...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by