Trying fermented feed

acro1010

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 3, 2014
I am going to be giving fermented feed a try this week. From everything that's been said about it I can't help but see what happens. I'll be posting on here and would like to here how it's went for others as well. It's only day two of the process to make it so it'll be a couple more days till they get any. Just a small batch for now.

Well found out one thing right away. Only fill jar up half way due to the grains soaking up water and needing to add more requires room. Who woulda' thunk it huh?
th.gif

Yeah, I've had many overflows since starting fermenting. Remember that it needs to breathe or it'll explode your glass jar (which I'm sure you've read). Good luck, I actually wish I had taken before/after pictures of my girls and boys. They look amazing! And the smell is so much better. My coop doesn't smell like there are 16 chickens sleeping in it every night. That is a major plus! Keep us posted :frow

That's what I want to hear. Do you feed it to them every day?

I do feed them FF daily, morning is larger feeding than evening. I do free range mine all day, but you will be able to tell a big difference in the amount of feed intake. I do give them scraps from our meals as well as some fruits/veggie peelings. But that's not enough to consider a meal, they eat majority FF and free range bugs & etc,.

You may see them turn their noses up at the first few feedings.... But then, they'll get to where they see you coming with the jar and nearly take you down :drool

I have been doing it for 6 days now and notice a big difference even in the eggs already it really is amazing someone I did a swap with told me about and I was going to try for a few days but now I really dont think my chickens will go back to dry feed they love it even the chicks love it they are pretty messy and need wiped clean but they do love it

Try to use a FF feed that doesn't contain animal proteins if you're fermenting in your house! The ones with animal proteins don't smell all that great!

Anyway, I do FF. I love it, and so do all of my birds! My chickens, turkeys and guineas all eat it. They look fantastic, they waste less, they stink less and they lay like crazy!
I'm a big fan of FF. I also give them sprouts, which they flip over. They're something else that's super easy to do. It offers them a green, living food source when they might not have access to it (penned birds, winter time). I mostly do lentils, which are also delicious in salads and good for you too! Sometimes I do oat and barley sprouts as well.

Anyway, good luck!

Try to use a FF feed that doesn't contain animal proteins if you're fermenting in your house! The ones with animal proteins don't smell all that great!

Anyway, I do FF. I love it, and so do all of my birds! My chickens, turkeys and guineas all eat it. They look fantastic, they waste less, they stink less and they lay like crazy!
I'm a big fan of FF. I also give them sprouts, which they flip over. They're something else that's super easy to do. It offers them a green, living food source when they might not have access to it (penned birds, winter time). I mostly do lentils, which are also delicious in salads and good for you too! Sometimes I do oat and barley sprouts as well.

Anyway, good luck!
Thank you for the comment and advice. I am going to be feeding them tomorrow with a little of what I have ready.

I have been doing it for 6 days now and notice a big difference even in the eggs already it really is amazing someone I did a swap with told me about and I was going to try for a few days but now I really dont think my chickens will go back to dry feed they love it even the chicks love it they are pretty messy and need wiped clean but they do love it

That's great. I most likely will too.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom