Trying fermenting feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Celticdragonfly, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Crowing

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    So here I am trying fermented feed for the first time, in my mason jars.
    20190614_210104.jpg

I read an article that said you should cover it, because the main bacteria growth you want is anaerobic. After 24 hours it just looks like wet sludge. So in a fit of indecisiveness and paranoia, I just have cheesecloth over day 2.

This is the last of the starter crumble, then we're moving to a starter/grower feed, because the local feed store didn't have any that was just "grower". They SAY you can ferment any of these...

I like the idea of a homemade grain mix, but everything is too complicated, and they write about needing to sprout some of it and ferment other parts and then mix it all precisely, and I don't even have the kitchen room for all that.

Here's hoping this works.

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Crowing

Aug 11, 2016
    KY
    I think you'll like it (and your poultry will, too) once you get into the groove. :D Hang in there!

3. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    My girls LOVE it and really do seem to have health benefits compared to strictly dry feed.

I do cover mine because our humidity is quite high and as I recently discovered its fairly obvious when/if it goes "off" and I've only ever had one batch go bad. Everything went bad though, our bread in the house, chicken feed in the run, muffins that were 2 days old. It was a weird weather thing.

You'll do great and we're happy to help and advise!

4. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Crowing

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    It's just occurred to me to have a panicked worry - I think that stuff may be from the tail end of the bag the feed store gave me the day we got the chicks, and that was medicated. Will that make a problem in fermenting it?

5. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    I'm not sure about fermenting medicated feed! Let's tag the experts! @DobieLover @FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow likes this.
  6. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    You will be fine fermenting medicated feed. If your not using it fast enough, since you have 3 jars going, you can put it in the fridge and it will stop the fermenting process. Take it out the night before you need to use it, so it can get to room temp.

I use a crock for fermenting. I feed out of it, leave a little in there, then add new feed and water to it, it's ready to go the next morning (backslop). When I go away for a week I put it in the fridge to stop the fermenting process. I've been adding to this batch for awhile, I can't remember when I cleaned the crock out last. My feed is mixed to a mashed potato consistency, no water is visible while it is fermenting. My chicks and chickens prefer it thicker, not watery. You can add some feed before feeding, if it's to wet for them. Using one container makes it easier for me.
    I got the crock at Walmart.

20190615_071130.jpg

Before feeding out this morning
    20190615_071148.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  7. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    You don't need to do either, and precision is def not necessary. All ff needs is feed, water and time - ideally 3 days, between starting it and feeding it to your chickens

8. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    This is what's left over, I'll add to it and it will be ready tomorrow. I like to make things easy as can be.

20190615_072712.jpg

Newyorkrita and 123RedBeard like this.
  9. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Crowing

Aug 11, 2016
    KY
    As @blackdog043 said, fermenting medicated chicken feed won't negatively impact the ferment. The reason is because Amprolium, the medication in the feed, works by preventing the coccidia protozoa from metabolizing thiamine (acting as a thiamine "antagonist"). Since Amprolium is not an antibiotic, it wouldn't inhibit the microbial growth needed for a lacto-ferment. :)

10. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Crowing

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    Earlier this evening I came to look at them, and jar 1 looked to have the liquid on the bottom, solids on top. I opened it, and a lot of gas came out. It just looks like sludge, not even as solid as porrige. I stirred it and closed it again.

trumpeting_angel likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: