Trying it out...Seems to be working!!! YAY!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wbruder17, Jan 11, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Hello. I have 2 silkies, about 8-9 months old that keep going in and out of broodiness. First it was the one, now the other is doing it. First I tried to break her of it, because I couldn't have her hatching chicks at the time. Then I let her have some that turned out to be infertile. Then I just kept taking the eggs out from under her until I could be sure they were more consistently fertile. Then shed get broody and sit for a day or 2 and then leave, thus wasting more eggs. Now her sister is doing the same thing, tho she's a little meaner and will peck me. They seem to want to be broody at the same time in the same box as well.

My dilemma is that:
    1. I want to hatch eggs but still don't know if the Ol rooster is doing his job and don't want to waste infertile eggs.
    2. I want to get fertile eggs of a certain breed for the silkies to hatch, but its hard to tell when and if the silkies will be broody or stay broody by the time I get the eggs.
    3. I don't want to buy a bunch of fertile eggs and have them wasted waiting for my silkies to decide they want to do it again.

Currently, silkie #2 is now broody and I let her have a couple eggs to try out.

Does anyone have advice as to what I should do? I definitely don't mind them being broody, I just want to get some chickies out of it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  2. Faith Hope

Faith Hope Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Illinois
    I hope someone chimes in with some advice. I also have a silkie who sits for 24 to 48 hours and then stops. She has been doing this for a month or two now. She stops for about the same length of time and then starts up again.

3. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    So, both girls are now situated in their basement nesting enclosure. they have a cardboard box, pine shavings, water and food close-by. Its very funny and cute as they are sisters and have been noticably inseperable since hatching. Their names are Skeksies (brown) and Mystic (gray mottled). Both have gone in and out of broodiness for about 2 months now and I decided to give it a try.

The funny part about it, I think, is that all 7 eggs of various sizes and colors, are under Skeksies and Mystic is just kinda hanging around "Bouncing"...meaning, whenever I try to do anything, not only does Skeksies growl and peck at me, fairly violently, but Mystic is even worse! She puffs up, hones in and attacks when I go near her sister.

This is like a Biology experiment. I am so excited about this endeavor I can hardly wait. I hope at least 1 is fertile....please please please...[​IMG].[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Faith Hope

Faith Hope Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Illinois
    Hi! Are your silkies still sitting on the eggs?

I finally decided to give mine eggs -- she has stuck to the nest for 48 hours + for the first time. Every other time she would get close to the 48 hour mark and then she would end up back on the roost right about the time I was going to give her eggs! Crazy chickens.

Hopefully, both of hours will stick to it. I gave mine 8 regular size eggs; she seems to be able to cover them fine.

Sherrie

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by