1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

trying not to crossbreed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by klalbrek, Dec 30, 2012.

1. klalbrek

klalbrek New Egg

May 9, 2012
    I have two different breeds together. If I let them have chicks how far ahead of time should I seperate them so I don't get crossbreeding?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A hen can maintain high fertility up till 2 weeks after removal of a rooster, some fertility up to 3 weeks, and occasional fertility up to 4 weeks. I wouldn't recommend setting eggs until at least 3 weeks after separation.

3. -thumbs up-

4. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Newbie Question!!! Is it "dangerous" to crossbreed? I had 2 crossbreeds... they are healthy and happy. Just wanted to know if they could possibly have health problems down the road.

5. No, they're fine. I have a ton of mutts around here, and they are actually hardier and healthier than any of the purebreeds. :)

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What MsBagawkbagawk said.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Crossbreeds tend to be tough and on average productive but such are usually dead end birds when they leave your farm since it is hard to find someone interested in birds that are not predictable in terms of productivity or appearance. As a whole humans are a fickle lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by