Trying not to worry about Ivy yet - empty crop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gritsar, Aug 10, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Ivy, a black turken that is my favorite in my baby flock, had a nearly empty crop at roost time tonight. Last night her crop was full (I check the crops when they all line up to roost). They free ranged for about three hours before going to bed and she was running around chasing bugs like the rest of them. She did eat a cricket that I happened to find on the porch and offered her after crop check. All the others had full or nearly full crops.
    DH says that she probably didn't eat much today because of the heat. We had a heat index of 110 today.
    The chicks have grower feed and water available 24/7, plus whatever they catch outside. Ivy and the others will be 9 weeks old tomorrow.
    I'm trying not to worry about her, yet. [​IMG]

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress 9 Years

Your hubby could be right. That is HOT! And I thought South Florida was hot! [​IMG] I'd just keep an eye on her. Most likely, she'll be fine. [​IMG]

3. nanawendy

nanawendy Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I would have trouble in that heat too. Freeze some fruit tonight and see if that entices her to eat. OR maybe it's time for the slip and slide [​IMG]

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    b.hromada :

Your hubby could be right. That is HOT! And I thought South Florida was hot! [​IMG] I'd just keep an eye on her. Most likely, she'll be fine. [​IMG]

Having lived in both S. Florida and SW Arkansas I can tell you that Florida is the artic compared to SW Arkansas in the summertime. [​IMG]
    ETA: Ivy seems fine today, but I am going to offer her a special feeding this evening, after free range time.​

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  5. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I'm so glad she's doing better.

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks, me too [​IMG]
    We just caught some humongous grasshoppers in the yard and tossed them into the pen with the babies. Saw Ivy running around with the majority of one of the hoppers in her mouth. [​IMG]

7. nanawendy

nanawendy Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    YUMMMmmmmmm [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: