Trying to ascertain gender of little ones

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BigDaddy'sGurl, Sep 7, 2010.

1. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I have numerous 3-4 week olds that are developing combs already and I have seen quite a bit of "sparring" between 3 in particular. Also one of these with a large comb already is highly agressive to me: pecks/grabs my skin and twists its head, etc. Is it safe to assume these are little cockerals? They honestly will go toe to toe and peck each other to establish leadership and they are TINY! If it helps the mother is an andalusian so they do have a type of game chicken in their breeding...so maybe sparring is normal for pullets too?

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Pictures are the best way for any of us to help.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    It sounds a though from your description that you must have at least one roo.

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I agree that pics would NORMALLY help, but in this case the comb development is probably secondary in the decision making because as you can see by the pic I will post below, their mother is very well endowed in the "crown" dept...that's why I am hoping the behavior is the key.

[​IMG]

5. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    If the is Game blood in there there is a good chance for any of them to sparring. Games will fight to the death from day one, but this does not always happen. Females will spar too, so the behavior of your chicks is Not a good indicator of sex.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by