Trying to be a good chick mommy"

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Paulabee, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Paulabee

Paulabee New Egg

Apr 10, 2016
    Hi!

I am Paula from Jacksonville Florida. I have wanted backyard chickens for quite a while, but couldn't convince my husband to do it. Finally I just asked him to take me to tractor store which had chicks for its National Chicken Sale Week. He was not happy, but he told me that he loved me enough to help me get started.
    We purchased 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Rhode Island Whites, and 2 mixed red and white. They are in their brooder with their heat lamp... seem quite happy and active. I am trying to decide what type of choop and run to make, and especially if I end up making it with my girlfriend by ourselves. We have 3 dogs and I think the chicks have already adapted to them as they don't even jump and scatter when they bark anymore.

Anyway, I am glad to have a place to learn. Now... onward to that coop!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Paula and [​IMG] - glad that you have joined us. I'm sure that before long your hubby will grow to like your flock as much as you do.

I'd suggest checking out the "Coops" section and the "coops and runs " forum for ideas - there's lot of ideas that may provide some inspiration.

all the best
    CT

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Paula, nice to meet you. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

Actually it's a matter of the dogs not harming the chickens. Dogs and cats tend to view chicks as toys or quick lunches. Either way the chicks end up dead. You never hear of chickens killing a dog or cat. It's actually best if they NEVER meet. As a greeter, I read new member intros daily and many start by saying their dog/cat has massacred their birds.
    They replace the chicks but, don't change anything with the dogs and history repeats itself.

The Learning Center is a great place to start a chicken education. The coop section has a lot of do it yourself styles, sizes, etc. Some have photos and step by step descriptions and plans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by