Trying to break a Broody! And I have a few questions!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Barred Babies, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Okay, one of my BO went broody a few days ago. We have continually taken her off the nest and she'll stay off awhile them go right back in there. We also take her off at night and put her on the roost and she'll be right back in the nest the next morning. I've read some posts that recommend putting them in a wire cage by themselves. So I just put her in the big brooder with food & water.

How will I know when I should put her back in the flock?? What should I be looking for?? I'm assuming that they don'y lay when their broody, is this the case??

Thanks for any help I can get!

Missi

2. redfeather

redfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    I would like to know of this as well... I have one girl (also buff orpington) that always does the same... I just hatched out a clutch of nine from under her, and she still won't get out of the nest, even though there is nothing to lay on.

3. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    I had a silkie go broody and tried everything to break her. Finally I just gave up and she sat on nothing for 3 weeks... Then one day she was just out with the others in the morning. Took her about 2 more weeks to start laying again, good uck,maybe someone with more info will come aling and offer more help

4. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I did the wire cage and it took about three days. I left her in it until she quit puffing up every time I reached into the cage.
    Just remembered you had another question. No they do not lay when broody. In fact I broke mine of broodiness at the beginning of September and she hasn't started laying yet. I think she's holding a grudge (but then, she's a pretty old hen, also)!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  5. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Thanks for the info!! I feel so cruel doing this and she is not a happy camper right now!!

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:How is she unhappy? If she's up and pacing and flapping and such, she may already be broken. That's how you tell: they stop sitting fluffed out, growling when you come near, and start moving around and looking upset. I broke one once just by moving her and her eggs to the broody coop -- she wouldn't stay on the eggs any more, just paced and complained.

7. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Well first she stood in the same spot for like 3 hours! The she started the Bawking. So I went in there and she didn't fluff up at me so I went ahead and let her out. So far so good. If she gets back in that nest she'll stay in there brooder for a couple days!! Thanks..

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

When I see a silkie starting to go broody, I put it up in a white stilt pen. About 5-7 days later I move the bird back into the pen and it is back to normal.

9. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Well, I let her out on Sunday and she never went back in the nest. But first thing Monday morning she was right back in there. So I put her back in the brooder and she stayed there until this morning. Let her out and she didn't get back into the nest all day!! Hopefully we broke her!! [​IMG]

10. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    i had a broody Buff last week & put her in a cage up off the ground so that air was under her butt let her out after the 3rd day & hasn't gone back except to lay an egg since. ive also heard that using cold water in a spray bottle works (spray their rear) & then kick them out of the nesting box. i havn't tried this method thou.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by