1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

trying to combine to one pen and it's not working! HELP!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Theapplechicks, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    I have 2 pens right now a nice big new one and an old small one. Right now the 7 teens (13-14wk) are in the big one and I have 4 adults hens and 4 babies (6wk) in the little one. I want to eventually get them all into the one pen but it's not working. We tried putting the mama that hatched the 4 babies and a couple of the babies in there and it was a HUGE fight! our cockeral and mama went at it and I had to pull them apart and seperate, it was like a cock fight!!!! she started it too by attacking one of his little hens for no reason. Then we tried putting our full size cochin in there w/ them and she immediately attatcked on of the other little hens for no reason! (she by the way thinks she is also the chicks mother) I'm scared to put the one hen in because we are dealing w/ some feather missing issues and don't want to get the new ones sick plus she is rather high strung and mean old thing. so that leaves hen #4. We put her in last night and she was fine in there w/ them but was segregated and slept the night all by herself! I felt so bad for her. We also put 2 of the babies in there and after much crying for a couple hours they ended up fine. I would like to try to get the other 2 babies over there. but have to put something around the bottom of the fencing because they could squeeze out. (they are pretty small) SO how do you think I can introduce the others without a huge fight! I thought putting them into new territory would help but I guess not. THey have been free-ranging together for weeks??? any suggestions or are they just not gonna be able to join the nice new pen.

2. Theapplechicks

Apr 13, 2011
    bumping up... anyone?

3. Theapplechicks

Apr 13, 2011
    try again....

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, it`s like this. Older chickens are rough on young ones that are strange to them. It takes quite a while for them to get aquainted, too. Your best bet is to leave the 2 groups seperated until they are older, like next spring. I know this isn`t whatcha wanna hear, but it`s fact. Now, if you can free range them, that will speed things up a bit. but it does take a while........Pop

5. Theapplechicks

Apr 13, 2011
    Thanks! I think I will put the other 2 babies (7wk) in w/ them since they did fine and then just leave the meanies to themselves for a while. They have been free ranging together for 3mo now but anytime they get anywhere near Bumble she attacks! Baby Blue our Cochin isn't usually like this but for some reason she thinks the babies are hers so I think she is just being protective. I was afraid the answer was gonna be to keep them seperated..... She's a sweet little hen to us, so I don't want to do away w/ her so we'll just keep the two pens going....

6. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Can you let them all out together on neutral ground? Not inside the coop or run where there is territorial issues. First I put the younger ones in a pen where the other chickens can come around and see them. I do that for a couple of days and they soon lose interest. Then I start letting them out all together for a couple hours under supervision. Then, with mom and her babies about 6 weeks, I slip them all into the coop at night. Good luck, integration can be tricky.

7. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    OK, so I see your post from when I was posting....so they already free range together....did you put them in the coop at night or during the day? I don't know why the night thing seems to work better.

8. Theapplechicks

Apr 13, 2011
    Quote:I have been. We have a fenced in back yard and I let them out during the day to free range together. They have been doing this for 3mo now so I thought it might be ok. Nope! [​IMG]

9. Theapplechicks

Apr 13, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] no worries.

It was at night a little before roosting time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by