Trying to Convince Friend to Get Chickens-Easy Coop Ideas!

new2chickens2011

Songster
8 Years
Jun 11, 2011
Hi y'all,
So I have almost completely convinced my friend to get some chickens. However, he doesn't have a whooole lot of time, money, or experience for coop building. But he's super excited for farm fresh eggs and really loves my chickens!
I need some of your easiest but good coop ideas to show him that would work for probably around three hens.
Thank you!!!!!!

Hoop house from cattle panels, 2x4s, zip ties, tarps, welded wire. Easy to build, cheap materials, easy to expand upon, lightweight for moving, ideas for finishing the inside are only limited by the imagination.

The "Chicken Coops for Dummies" has a really cute and easy 4x4 coop that was relatively inexpensive and easy for beginners plus a lot of great tips for building. Have fun :)

I agree with Beekissed. Hoop construction is not only light weight, but very sturdy and easy to make. I built a hoop coop and runs from 2"x4" fencing and ended up with 500 sq. ft. of usable space for a little over $400. I can move all of it by myself, which means I never have to clean out a chicken coop again. When thing get ugly I just move them into better pasture.

It's not about how cheap a coop is. It's about how strong it is, how big it is in sq. ft.,how movable it is and how much safety it provides. If you buy one of the premade portable ones you get around 80 sq. of space and it is not very light. If you make one yourself and don't make too big of hoops (say 2' high for the runs), then for the cost of a prebuilt you can have 250 sq. ft of space if you want. If you build the runs in pieces, then they only weight ~20 lb. This picture is of a seven unit system I built. It has 175 sq. ft. of usable space. You can build it yourself with only zip ties and wire cutters and you can plop it down anywhere you want and the chickens will be safe.

It's hard to see each piece of the run in this picture, but were the stone are laying is the junctions of each run piece.
If you go here you can better see the junction of each run in the snowy picture.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-of-landscaping-around-your-coop#post_8511725

Back
Top Bottom