Trying to convince mom to let broody hen hatch chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mother o' chicks72, Mar 23, 2011.

1. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Hey I know my chicks are still at least two months from laying, but I know that my BO Calyx is supposed to be broody and a couple of my other chicks too. Im sure Calyx is a girl, she is the most feminine pullet i have ever seen, but i think my EE Amapola is a guy, and possibly one of my other chickies too. So that will leave us with only 5 or six chickens total, so i wanted to know how difficult it is to hatch eggs under a broody hen? And also I heard that you can place a very young chick under a hen to stop its broodiness? So what do you know about this?

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Actually letting a broody hatch your eggs is SO much easier than incubating! Momma does ALL the work! I'm not sure about breaking a broody by placing a chick under her. I've never heard of this!!

ETA: You can add chicks under a broody and hope she accepts them. And I think what you mean about your BO is they are very likely to go broody. It prob won't happen for a good while!!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    If your pullets haven't started laying yet, they're not broody. Also, the reason that putting a chick under a hen works to break broodiness is because she'll then take care of her chick, rather than sit on eggs. She still won't lay eggs.

I would highly recommend doing a search for broody hen on here to get more information before you try to let any of your pullets raise chicks. If you put a chick in there with them now, they will likely kill it.

Good luck.

4. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I think you both misunderstood my post; to make it clearer what I said was that, for in the future when they start laying and are full grown, I would like to know about raising chicks under a broody hen. I would DEFINITELY not put a newly hatched chick in with them right now! [​IMG]

5. san415

san415 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    i don't think you will have a broody hen till quite awhile after they start to lay eggs. Your hens will perch on the perch to sleep and lay eggs in the nest box. But you will notice that with a hen that is broody, she will stop roosting for the night on the perch and stay in the nest box all night and all day. Sitting on any eggs she has laid and also any eggs the other hens have laid in her nest box. Once she is sitting "tight" she will no longer lay any eggs, she will just want to hatch what she has in the nest. She wont lay eggs again till she is no longer broody or raising her chicks. Also when broody if you pick her up and set her down outside of the nest box she will most likely sink to the floor or ground, almost as if she can not or will not stand. When she is broody for a while even if you take her eggs away she will sit on the empty nest rather than lay more eggs for quite a while.
    I would expect my young hens to lay eggs all summer and then if they are going to be broody that would normally ( in my hens) start in the next spring.. Though I seem to also have one who will go broody in the winter too.
    When my first hens started to lay, my easter egger would stay in the nest box after laying an egg, for about 40 minutes or longer. She wasn't broody though, just tired.

6. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    that sounds right. I have read up a bit on broody hens, so I know how to tell if one is broody and I had heard the BO's tend to be broody which is why I'm thinking about trying to hatch chicks under Calyx. I heard that SexLinks are usually girls, is this correct? Because we cant have roos here and I thought perhaps I could get some eggs for Calyx to hatch, it would be soooo cute!

7. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    no i think its just that you can sex them as day olds and not have to wait

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Always expect a 50/50 hatch!!

9. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Oh okay so so can u buy only female sexlinks or what?

10. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    No no, you can buy male or female sex links, their coloring is sex linked meaning (for instance) the males will be mostly white and the females will be red - in the case of red sex links. These can be sexed at an early age due to their coloring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by