Trying to crow at 6 weeks? Really? Olive-egger/ Marans mix

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by instar8, Oct 19, 2011.

1. instar8

instar8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    N.IN
    I've raised chicks every year for 5 years now, never had one try to crow this soon...i was convinced this particular olive egger/ Marans mix was a girl...wishful thinkin, since i only got two olive eggers, and the other is for sure a boy, tho he's sure not crowing yet! Is that maybe a Marans thing? This one is blue with really cute feathered legs, but the Ameraucana pea comb, hardly any tail yet, barely feathered out.

Wish i could post a pic, but my POC PC won't run my digital camera program....grrr.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not unusual at all, really. I've had the earliest crow at just 4 DAYS old. Some at 5 days, some at 7 days. Many of my BR cockerels have started at 4-6 weeks, too. Cute, ain't it?

3. instar8

instar8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    N.IN
    Quote:Once i was sure he didn't have chicken whooping cough or something it WAS kinda cute. Tho i guess i can't call him 'Bootsie' any more...maybe just 'Boots'...i used to have a boa constrictor named 'Boots'.

Anywho...still sounds more like he's got something stuck in his throat, but you can't mistake the posture!

4. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Somewhere I have a video of 2 4 week old Cochin X chicks starting to crow! It was pretty funny! [​IMG]

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Heehee

I had a bird who started at 6 weeks. Oh man, I felt bad for him because he sounded terrible in miniature, but that didn't stop me from laughing at him until i had tears in my eyes.

6. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    I love hearing the little roos starting to crow when they are only a couple of weeks old but the funniest thing I ever saw was a 2 day old turkey poult going into a full on tom turkey strut. Not a single feather on him, all fluff but he sure tried to spread his tail nub and drop those wings. And, oh man, did he ever have the correct posture... [​IMG] He was at the feed store at the time. Now he lives with me and still spends the majority of his time strutting around the yard.

7. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG] and awwwww! [​IMG]

8. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    he just hit puberty early thats all. i went to school with a kid who had a mustache in 5th grade [​IMG]

9. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I've had an OEGB and D'Uccle both crow at four-five weeks. Also and Egyptian Fayoumi at four weeks, which isn't that unusual for the Egyptian.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by