Trying to crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenChester, Mar 25, 2017.

1. ChickenChester

ChickenChester Just Hatched

Mar 24, 2017
    Delaware
    Hi! I'm a newbie and have, maybe, an odd question. My son noticed a couple of the chickens stretching out their necks and opening their beaks back to back as if trying to crow, but nothing comes out. They are 3-4 weeks old. Is that just normal stretching or does it mean they are boys? Thank you.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It sounds more like the movements they often use to adjust their crops. That being said, it could also be efforts to start crowing. If you take and post some photos we can try to help you sort out gender, while it's a bit early many cockerels are easy to spot at this point.

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickenChester

Mar 24, 2017
    Delaware
    Silver laced polish

[​IMG]

4. ChickenChester

Mar 24, 2017
    Delaware
    EE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  5. ChickenChester

Mar 24, 2017
    Delaware
    My other pretty girl ee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ChickenChester

Mar 24, 2017
    Delaware
    Barred Rock. Now this one I'm confused on. The place guaranteed me it was a pullet, but these threads tell me that a large yellow spot is a boy.

[​IMG]

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop

Sight sexing barred rock is not as simple as some folks would make it sound, and with hatchery stock not really applicable as the traits referred to are more reliable in lines where their breeding is careful. Chicks sold as pullets in retail settings have been vent sexed, which is generally around 90% accurate. At this point there is nothing screaming cockerel, but it is far too undeveloped to be sure of anything

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Can you show the legs, particularly the front of the legs and toes, and can you show a pic looking down on the chick from above to show all of the spot on the head? Did you get just the one BR? If you got a group of SR BR from the same source, it might be easier to sort their gender out. While I somewhat agree with OGM, I think a practiced eye can often pick out the cockrels in a barred or cuckoo patterned bird, but this is more reliable in some strains than others.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  9. ChickenChester

Mar 24, 2017
    Delaware
    Thank you @Ol Grey Mare and @lazy gardener. Here are some more pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by