trying to decide on coop type...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kaiser, Jun 24, 2011.

1. kaiser

kaiser New Egg

Jun 23, 2011
    New Milford CT
    the family and i are ready to start our backyard flock, we're thinking 4-5 rhode island reds.
    we live in northwest connecticut. we got a lot of snow last winter.

i'm a pretty handy guy and can build anything as long as i have plans. i'm leaning towards something similar to the a-frame "ark" i've seen around the net.
    i have a couple of questions before i make my decision:

where do chickens roost in a-frames? every one i've seen has no roosting space, just run, hen house and nesting boxes.
    DLM doesn't look like it's possible with a smaller a frame like i'd need for 4-5 reds. not the end of the world but i was considering DLM.
    can they winter in an a-frame? a-frames are quite a bit smaller then the traditional coop. i'd hate for them to be unhappy wintering in a structure too small.
    or is it ok because the run is under the a-frame?

i'm not 100% sold on the a-frame, just very interested. i'll be building it this summer, preparing for chicks in the spring.

one last question, regarding forum abbreiviations, what the heck does DH stand for? dear husband? lol

thanks,

pete-

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I'm not familar with the roost your talking about but here's how I build mine. [​IMG]

3. kaiser

kaiser New Egg

Jun 23, 2011
    New Milford CT
    here are a couple of pics i've found:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    [​IMG]

You could make a taller A frame...there is one of our members that has one of the coop pages. The run is on the side rather than under the hen house....I just finished building my coop and looked into a frames but went a different way...good luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=38174

5. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    I should add that the reason I didn't want the run under was to make it easier on me when it comes to clean up....a walk in run was the way to go for me!

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I've never built an A-frame, partly because I could not figure out the roosting problem without it getting pretty big, but also because I like to use the area under the overhang for ventilation. Speaking of ventilation, I'll give you links to some articles that I think will really help you, especially the ventilation and muddy run articles.

Pat’s Big Ol' Ventilation Page
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

Pat’s
    Cold Coop (winter design) page:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-winter-coop-temperatures

Pat’s
    Big Ol' Mud Page (fixing muddy runs):
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-fix-a-muddy-run

I
    suggest you look at a 4' x 8' elevated coop with one side higher than the other for slope so rain runs off. (Don't forget snow load when building it.) Put enough overhang on it so you can put ventilation under the overhang and give it enough height so they can roost out of drafts below that cross ventilation. Although the 4x8 may be a little bigger than you think you need, in a snowy climate the extra space will come in real handy. I find it is a lot less work managing them if you have some extra space. Also, most building materials come in 4' and 8' dimensions. You can usually build something this size for not a lot more money than a smaller one.

DH is a pretty general term. It does stand for husband, but whether he is dear, darn or something else is pretty loosely defined.

7. gabe4223

gabe4223 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Montgomery County,Texas
  8. kaiser

kaiser New Egg

Jun 23, 2011
    New Milford CT
    thanks ridgerunner.

the ventialtion, and roost issues are what's making me second guess my original plan.

these types of coops seem to be popular in the uk, probably due to space constraints.
    i do have limited space but i think i'll build an elevated 4x6 or 4x8 coop, like you said.

i'd like to add that this is a clandestine operation, aka town zoning prohibits poultry. bah! to that. [​IMG]
    thats why i'm trying to keep the coop reletively small.

i'm a Dear Husband personally. atleat i think i am. lol

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  9. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I personally like a more permanent coop and run. Once it's done, it's secure and safe and I don't have to worry about it. Just rake it out every few weeks and that's it. [​IMG]

Here is my baby coop:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by