Trying to decide wether or not to free-range Redding CT

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Laura'schicks, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Laura'schicks

Laura'schicks New Egg

Aug 27, 2010
    Redding Ct
    Hello, We just moved from Long Island to Redding CT and used to let our chickens free-range with little worries. Since we moved to Redding I am worried about predation. I see a lot of Hawks and critters around here. My chikens are down to laying one egg a day and seem sad [​IMG] . Any advice from anyone with experience free ranging in the Redding CT area would be very helpful.

Laura

2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I'm a long way from there! But my flock only free-ranges when I'm outside fairly close by....
    [​IMG]

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    [​IMG] from NY, we live in the country and are visited all the time by predators so we don't free range because we would hate to lose any of our pet chickens.

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!! We free range all the time, live in the country and have every kind of predator here. Have never lost one!! [​IMG] You might try finding your state thread in the "Where are you, Where am I" section and put the question to them!!

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. busybecca

busybecca Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    Arizona
    First off - Welcome! [​IMG]

Second - I am VERY new to chickens - can they lay more than 1 egg a day? [​IMG]

7. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

8. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    [​IMG]

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. I think chickens would be much happier to free range but we take the chance at losing them at any given time. Right now my young flock is staying in their covered pen, but I know they would like to be out. [​IMG]

10. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by