Trying to Decide

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenthyme, Jun 16, 2019.

1. chickenthyme

chickenthyme In the Brooder

Feb 3, 2018
    Lucy.jpg So the chicken in the center.......Do you have any idea what breed 'she' is? She was suppose to be a Golden Wyandotte like the girl behind her but of course, 'she's' not. Thought it might be a Silver Wyandotte but she's not patterned quite like the Golden one is. And I'm feeling 'she' might be a 'he' as the tail is not the same as the rest of the girls and this one has a bigger comb and waddle at this stage. Brought them home as chicks March 22, 2019. Feel like a few times I've heard some different noises that don't sound like the rest of the girls. What a different temperament this one has had over the rest. Noisy from the start and likes to fly at the other girls. My gut says it's a rooster but this is the first time around for me with peeps.

drumstick diva likes this.
  2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    He is a male hatchery quality Silver Laced Wyandotte. Hatcheries often throw ones with single combs.

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    My thoughts exactly. Hatchery type Silver Laced Wyandotte with incorrect comb which is common in hatchery Wyandottes. No doubt that is a cockerel.

4. chickenthyme

Feb 3, 2018
    Well sounds like that confirms it. Just because I'm still new at this, what does 'hatchery quality' or 'hatchery type' mean?? They were from a Family Farm and Home store.

5. CSAchook

CSAchook Crossing the Road

Aug 21, 2017
    New Mexico
    "Hatchery quality" as opposed to show quality. It means that the bird might not have all of the characteristics of the breed standard. As Gray Farms pointed out, your boy has the 'wrong' type of comb for a Wyandotte, but he is still a Wyandotte. Just not the best example of what the breed is supposed to look like.

drumstick diva and EggWalrus like this.
  6. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Crowing

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    Hatchery Quality = some less than desirable traits, not show quality, doesn't usually come close to standard of perfection for the particular breed. Still good birds for a backyard flock.

7. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    @CSAchook and @EggWalrus said it perfectly. There are many different levels of quality. Show quality, breeder quality, pet quality, hatchery quality, etc. Depending on your intended use for the bird importance of quality can vary a lot or not matter at all. If your looking for a pet or layer the incorrect comb wouldn't matter, other than he won't be laying any eggs.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2 CSAchook , Egg Walrus and Gray Farms

CSAchook likes this.
  9. chickenthyme

Feb 3, 2018
    Oh thanks everyone!! I wasn't planning on a rooster or a bird for show when I bought my chicks so his quality isn't as important. I was though wanting 6 hens and these were supposed to be sexed. :rolleyes: Probably will try and find him another home as I basically just wanted layers.

CSAchook likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: