Trying to decide

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Flawedatdesign, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Okay I have 6 GC hens and 2 Roos. They lay about 4-5 eggs a day. Being Almost 2 I know the production is going to slow down. How long can I collect eggs to incubate. I know I have read up to about 7 days.

Also is it going to be worth doing it now as in 4 months it will start cooling down heading for winter.

That and I'd have to buy an incubator.

2. Flawedatdesign

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    ANyone?

3. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    You can store eggs for incubation no more than 7-10 days---at 45-75 degrees F, turn once a day, with small end pointed down.

4. 1shotcleaner

1shotcleaner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    duke center pa 16729
    hi hatching eggs is fun and adicting. buy a styrafome incubator and get a turner. new or used dosent realy matter. or if you have plenty of money buy what ever you can aford. the key to hatching it realy three things 1 good eggs stored point down for less than 14days. 2 two new tested and known good thermometers. 3 incubator that temp stays where its set. then have fun. 20 odd days later new flock. its that easy. ive hatched thousands of birds and i still get excited on hatch days., and if you have frends that have birds get some of there eggs an give them a go you will get adicted.

5. Flawedatdesign

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Well I'm looking at the fact my GC hens are gonna slow way down. My little mix hens are laying like mad. the eggs are small though.

I could buy more chicks but getting hard to find and prices are going up as they get older

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by