Trying to Decide

Lanissa86

Songster
11 Years
Mar 26, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Not sure who saw my post about my culling my whole flock... Well now I am thinking about re-building... Its only been a day but wow it was sad to walk outside and see an empty coop which my Dad and I put work into..

Well, now its time to think of what to get. Speckledhen was nice enough to offer some Barred Rock Eggs and I am so thankful, what a wonderful person...

I want chickens that are Super Friendly but yet still very attractive to look at. This year I have tried the following, and it seems like none have compared to my Delawares I started with at the Beginning of the year..

Black Australorp
Dark Brahma Bantam
Black Sex link
Dominique
EE's
Bantam black cochin

I have also hatched and people say hatched chicks are usually friendly because of imprinting.. Well NONE i have hatched were friendly.. very mean buggers... Except the two I hatched recently, they are winning me over and proving to be as friendly as my past Dels (for a polish bantam and EE I think that is amazing)!

What breed do you like best that has the MOST personality and is friendly. I like to watch my chickens and found some to have more of a curious/friendly personality then others...

I am going to start looking for either hatching Eggs or ordering from a hatchery if they have what I decide I want.

Thanks everyone.

Besides my Barred Rocks, which are amazingly friendly and sweet, my next friendliest birds are my two true Ameraucanas; Charlotte, my blue Ameraucana, and her daughter Gypsy. They beg to be picked up and held all the time. They are absolutely wonderful. And my splash Ameraucana, Snow, is becoming another lap chicken. I think EEs may or may not be friendly since they are a mix of breeds but I cant comment too much on them. I have one EE pullet, but she is fairly skittish. She went through a period when she was friendlier, but now that she is settled into her peer group, she's reverted back to being hard to catch. You positively trip over Charlotte and Gypsy!

You tried the dark brahma, but what about the lights or buffs? I had to pick one color variety of brahma to have the darks would be my last choice; especially in the friendliness department. All my brahmas are calm, quiet birds and none of them are unfriendly, but the darks took alot longer to warm up to humans and some of my darks still have a tendency to screech when I pick them up. They don't fight me or act flighty and try to run away from me, they'd just prefer to be left on the ground. Plus, I just don't find them as pleasing to the eye as my lights and buffs. Just my experience with them.

Let's see--
I like my EE alot--she runs after me trying to get me to hold her as soon as I get into the coop!

~Other likes-are my cuckoo maran--silkies and cochins....
I also liked my buff orpington roos better than the hens-but had way too many roos-so, I had to give those away....(sniff-sniff)
All of these were hand raised since hatching--but all have different personalites--some sweet and some are not--just like people!(lol!)

Good Luck with your upcoming flock whatever you may choose!

Quote:
Must have been a roo. My bantam brahma hens were quite sweet, but the roos are definately bantams. I kept the roos in the coop seperate from the hens except for breeding time. I still have three roos and no hens. (dog)

My Dark Brahma hens were somewhat flighty until they started laying then their personality changed as they were serious about finding food. Since I did a lot of yard work, pulling grass and tilling a small garden plot. they were right there digging along side me.

I am really liking my EE's. They are beautiful and neat to see what they will look like(they are 5weeks). Oh and they are curious and I can pick em up without them freaking out and screaming. They come up to me and eat out of my hands. I have buff orps too and those guys are nice but not the first to come up to me, I can pick those guys up and they don't peep or squirm but they don't seem to have as much personality.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom