1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trying to diagnose my sick chicken..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SamanthaS, Aug 7, 2014.

1. SamanthaS

SamanthaS Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2014
    Hi everyone! So one of my chickens who is about 4 months old now started showing signs that she was sick about a day or two ago. She has been sluggish, tail down, eyes closed,not really mingling with the rest of the flock. Yesterday I started to get really concerned because instead of roosting last night with the others, she was laying on the floor..I went in today and she was still laying down. I separated her and started to look her over to see what could be wrong..Vent area looks good and I thought maybe she is egg bound. I brought her inn and gave her a warm soak and she passed an egg..I put her back in the little cage I have for her and yet she still continues to lay down, eyes closed, mouth open, with her head almost bobbing up and down..

Any suggestions?!

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Good job on getting her to pass an egg! Do you know how long before this she laid he last egg?

I would keep her warm, scramble her an egg, and maybe add some yogurt to it to get something nutritious into her.

3. SamanthaS

May 10, 2014
    She laid an egg yesterday..I know this because she is my only chicken that lays under the nesting boxes instead of in them! haha I put some nutri-drench in her water and she is eating some feed i made into mash..maybe I will scramble her an egg. I'm just worried it's something else!

4. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I would watch her poop..usually a good indicator if there is something else going on

5. SamanthaS

May 10, 2014
    Her droppings are a bit runny but a normal green/brown color..

6. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Thats good! Keep an eye on that and making sure she eats and see how she is in the morning! Good luck!

7. SamanthaS

May 10, 2014
    Okay good..Thank you!

8. the chickflick

the chickflick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2014
    give her some plain yoghurt it helps boost the immune system in sick chickens adn dhydrates well. it sounds like a heat stroke to me. one of my heat stroked chickens did that the other day.

9. SamanthaS

May 10, 2014
    I just went to check on her and gave her some scrambled egg..It is almost like she cant hold herself up and just lays down when i pick her up and put her back down. When I held some scrambled egg in my hand, she went to peck at it but kept missing or would peck not even close to my hand. It seems like its a neurological issue [​IMG] I'm really not sure!

10. the chickflick

the chickflick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2014
    try putting some liquidy like yoghurt on the tip of your finger. touch the the end of the chickens beak and it will start licking it up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by