1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trying to diagnose red bare areas

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RobertaS, Aug 10, 2014.

1. RobertaS

RobertaS New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    [​IMG]
    I have seen no lice or mites on our chickens, yet they are bald in some areas and beefy red. I have used poultry powder, washed them, sprayed with poultry spray, cleaned and cleaned their coop and nothing helps!

2. smith76

smith76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Are you sure that the rooster is not causing the bare spots on their backs. I have had that issue a few times.

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Where exactly are the red bare areas on the chickens..?

4. RobertaS

RobertaS New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    On the golden comets it's on their bottoms and on on their backs and some have a little red blotchy things on their wings or chest. On the white leghorn it's mostly either right above the tail on the back or it's on the neck

5. RobertaS

RobertaS New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    We don't have a rooster. I wondered about pecking because the white leghorns are not nearly as bad as the golden comments. But in watching their behavior the golden comments seem to be higher on the pecking order and the white leghorn seem to defer to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by