Trying to figure out age of canadian goose,need help please(pic added)

Discussion in 'Geese' started by chickenlady, May 31, 2008.

1. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I have a baby goose, although it doesnt look like a baby because of it's size. He is still covered in yellowish/brownish down and has very few tail feathers starting to come in. The wings look like they have a few feathers on them as well. It is probably close to 5 pounds. To me, he looks huge but still resembles a baby. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I will try to get pics when it stops raining. Thanks.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Maybe around 4-5 weeks old. A pic would help.

3. chickenlady

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I will go get my camera now. Also, is there any difference between a wild canadian goose and a domestic one?

Maybe around 4-5 weeks old.

Thanks, they grow this big without feathering out in 4-5 weeks? I guess I am just used to chickens. lol.

Edited to add pic of Oscar.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  4. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:Put a diaper and a bonnett on him and you have a real life Baby Huey. [​IMG]

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would say around 5-6 weeks old. Also, where did you find this gosling. It is illegal to take a gosling from the wild, especially a Canadian gosling.

6. chickenlady

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Thanks for your age estimate. I work with state licensed rehabbers here and alot of people know that. I get things like this dropped off at my home all the time. Actually, this is my first goose, usually I get ducks and chickens. This little guy will be going to a facility later today. Thanks again.

7. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    i also say about 5-6 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by