Trying to figure out breed & sex

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hendrixcoop, Dec 3, 2012.

1. hendrixcoop

hendrixcoop Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2012
    Central South Carolina
    [​IMG]

This chick is 3 weeks old, came with a batch of RIR/Maran chicks. The guy stated that this chick was a neighbors egg and he is unclear of the heritage. The RIR/Maran chicks showed cockerel early, at two weeks, but this chick is in question. Any ideas on breed and/or sex?

This one of the RIR/Maran chicks,at two weeks, that presented early.
    [​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

What type of Marans was it? Cuckoo? If so, the first chick is a girl. Black sex link.

Though that chick looks like an australorp to me :confused:

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The first chick is a mutt and a rooster. I've never seen a female chick with those giant legs.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

]Nurse Turtle: [​IMG] My girls had canckles :lau [​IMG] Here she is now. Full grown. Though molting a bit.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  5. hendrixcoop

hendrixcoop Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2012
    Central South Carolina
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two chicks (3 week old black colored) are the unknown breed, came from the sellers neighbor and placed in the incubator, was not sure from which breeding pair.

The other four chicks (2 week old brown colored ) are a Rhode Island Red/Black Copper Maran cross-breed.

The 2 unknowns look exactly the same, the 4 RIR/BCM have a variation in color and appear to contain 2 cockrels. Just for entertainment from a newbie, here are pictures.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by