Trying to figure out guinea color

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by froggie71, Nov 17, 2009.

1. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    I've been trying to figure out this guinea hen's color since we got her. I've looked at some of the sites that show colors, but I still can't tell. Anyone have any idea?
    Kiss
    [​IMG]

I think she has really neat looking legs.
    [​IMG]

This is Bliss (she is a lavender), Kiss (?) and Hershey ( I thought he was a chocolate, but now think he is just a pearl gray with white) He and Bliss do have white on their outer wings.
    [​IMG]

2. floridamama

floridamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    Polk City
    Hi love the pictures. I own a few myself. I am still learning which one is what color. Does Kiss have a purplish hue to her is the sunlight? if she does she might be the hard to get purple, shes not full purple but still cool on her markings.

3. LCwilson

LCwilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    bliss is a lavender, kiss is a royal purple and hershey is i think a pearl pied but im not sure.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I don't believe royal purples are supposed to be pearled? I'll have to check on that though. But Hershey is a pied pearl.

ETA: I was wrong, they are supposed to be partially pearled. So I agree that she is royal purple. Here is a good color chart that has helped me quite a bit. http://www.guineafowlinternational.org/colorchart/

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  5. froggie71

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Yes, Kiss does have the purple hue in the sunlight. I think you are right. I was hoping she was a royal purple. She is definitely a really pretty color. Have to say she is my favorite. I wasn't sure that Hershey would be considered a pied, but after look at that color chart I see that he is! [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:From my understanding, pied is just the presence of white feathers on an otherwise 'solid' color. I have one that just has one or two flight feathers that are white, but she is still considered pied [​IMG]

7. froggie71

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Quote:From my understanding, pied is just the presence of white feathers on an otherwise 'solid' color. I have one that just has one or two flight feathers that are white, but she is still considered pied [​IMG]

Really, so that would make Bliss a pied also as she has a couple of white flight feathers as well. [​IMG]

8. Quote:Looks like it to me too.

here is a link for ya......

http://www.guineafarm.com/descriptions.html

just click on the colors and you will get the adults and keets. They also tell you how rare the color is.

some purples turn into a rather strange color and i do have one of these. They sorta get a multi colorl

There are bird that exhibit what some call a "bad color" I have two it seems. A Bad white and a Bad purple.

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY

Really, so that would make Bliss a pied also as she has a couple of white flight feathers as well. [​IMG]

That's the way I understand it, so I would consider that pied also.

10. floridamama

floridamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    Polk City
    Ok Good so I wasn't alone on thinking she is purple. I have a question. I have 2 piebalded girls, 1 male solid pearl male. I am having a lavender looking keet pop up about every 7 or 8 th hatching. Is it due to the pie balded gene? Just curious it's kind of neat to see it pop out of no where.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by