Trying to figure out if all 5 are laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rileysgranny, Oct 28, 2008.

1. rileysgranny

rileysgranny Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    We have 5 ladies that we purchased about 2 months ago. I was told that the 3 black sex-links were laying and that the Buff Orp & BR would be soon. True enough the 3 blacks were laying within days of moving to our house. We're pretty sure the BR is laying, but haven't figured out if the BO is. The problem is that I am not at home during the day and, except on the weekend, and not there to actually see who is in the nest. Here is the patteren - Day 1 - 3 eggs; Day 2 - 4 eggs; Day 3 - 2 eggs; Day 4 - 4 eggs; Day 5 - 3 eggs, etc. I've been told each hen will lay every 24 hours. If that's the case, are they all laying? Obviously there are at least 4 laying or we would'nt have days with 4 eggs. The BO is a very strange bird. She stays away from the rest most of the time and is always the first in the coop at night.

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I would say it would have to do with there age, if they are new layers they might not lay everday right away. If they are older (second season) they might not lay everyday !!!! Also the days are getting shorter and chickens need about 14 hours a day of light, that could be why they are not laying as much !!! Maybe add a few hours of light to there coop at night, till about 7-8.

3. rileysgranny

Oct 17, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    Up until Oct 13 we were getting 3, 3, 2, 3, 3, 2 on a pretty regular basis. Then On the 13th (I know 'cause it was my birthday) we had our first group of 4. Then its been 4 and 3 and 4 and 3 until the 2 that we had the other night. I figured that someone was slowing down because of the shorter daylight hours. Then there were 3 Monday night and 4 last night. I guess wanting to know if all 5 are laying is more curiosity than anything.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Teach them to write their names on the eggs when they lay them [​IMG]

Some hens will never lay every day - they might lay every other day.

Flip up some rumps. Look for moist, pinkish, plump, slightly out turned vent tissues. A pullet that is not laying won't look as plush as a laying hen.

5. rileysgranny

Oct 17, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    Thanks Miss Prissy. I'll check their rumps this weekend. It's too dark when I get home at night. Can't hold a chicken and a flash light and check a rump. Can't take 'em in the house, they might like it by the fireplace and decide to stay.

We had 4 eggs last night and the night before. That's a first.

Oh, and I put dates on the eggs for a couple of weeks, laid them all out on the table by date, and tried to see if I could tell which ones were laid by the same hen. You know, size, color, shape, etc. But, that still didn't tell me who was laying. Only how often. And then the shapes started changing!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Another thing to consider: with that few, you should have a 5-egg day every once in awhile. I started with 6 pullets and knew immediately when the last began to lay, because I'd get a 6-egg day once or twice a week.

7. rileysgranny

Oct 17, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    That'd be a sure sign Wynette! Had'nt happened yet. I'll keep checking.

8. rileysgranny

Oct 17, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    Whooo, Whoo! All five are laying. When I got home last night DH told me that he hadn't had time to check for eggs yet and that I needed to go with him. When I opened the nesting box there were 5 beautiful eggs. Of course, he had already checked and knew, but he wanted me to find them in the nest. He's sweet that way!

Thank you all for your little hints and suggestions on how to tell if they are laying. BYC is a great learning tool! GO BYC!

9. WA23

WA23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    Northwest WA State
    One more thing.
    Laying usually occurs about every 25-26 hours. This would put the next days egg an hour or so behind when it was laid the day before. It would also mean that when it becomes too late in the day (or darker) the hen would skip that day and pick up early the next starting the cycle over again.

I am told, though have no experience with them, that production x breeds will lay almost every 24 hours, so their "day off" is very minimal.

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Not every hen is created equal. While it is most common and predictable that hens will lay an egg every 24 - 25 hours there are many hens that it is normal for them to lay an egg every other day in 48 hour cycles.

I have a couple patridge rock hens that do not lay every day. They are every other day layers.

Yayyyyyyyyyyyy for 5 eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by