Trying to figure out if I have hens or just roos....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TheGourleyManor, Sep 28, 2016.

1. TheGourleyManor

TheGourleyManor Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2016
    I have (6) 18 week old chickens. One is most definitely a rooster, big beautiful boy with a crow that will pierce your ears. He is a BA (at least that is what we were told). We have another BA that is the same age as this boy, but looks much different and smaller. I assumed she was a hen, but "she" is crowing and her crow sounds exactly the same as her sibling! Same pattern, volume and tone.

We also have 4 RIR that we were hoping were all hens. I have been hearing a crow from at least one of them that sounds a lot like our BA did when he first started crowing. Kind of raspy. It has a different tune, but definitely a crow. All 4 of these look almost exactly the same in coloring, feathering and size.

Are the two "girls" that are crowing really not girls? I have read that some girls will crow in the absence of a rooster, but that isn't the case here, so I am really second guessing the sexes.

Here is a picture from today of the to BAs (and 1 RIR to the left) to show the difference between the two.

[​IMG]

One of the RIRs from about a month ago:

[​IMG]

So, what's the verdict? Do I have any hens or are the all roos?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Everyone looks male, sorry.

The bird in the first pic with the yellow leg band is not an Australorp. He looks like a mixed breed, a cross between something black (likely Australorp) and something red.

3. TheGourleyManor

Jul 11, 2016
    Cross between Australorp and copper Maran (sp?) Maybe? I can't believe I ended up with 6 roosters! Ugh. [​IMG] Now what? Lol

4. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Maybe a Marans cross, cause he's a hefty boy. One way to tell...Marans have white skin, which is dominant. If he has a Marans parent, his skin will be white. Best place to look (on a live bird, anyway [​IMG]) is the bottom of the foot, that shows the true skin color. Under any dirt, etc, of course [​IMG].

The now what......Well, your options are pretty much as follows:

Butcher them.
    Try to sell them. Most likely give them away.
    keep them as pretty, loud freeloaders who may start fighting amongst themselves.

I'm guessing you got into chickens because you wanted eggs. So, my advice would be to pick one rooster to keep, if you want. If not, get rid of all of them. Start over with sexed pullets, or older started birds. If you're considering older birds, you can try to post pics here before you purchase, so we can verify gender and you don't wind up right back in the same situation.

5. TheGourleyManor

Jul 11, 2016
    He has whitish grey skin on the bottom of his feet. They other black one has the same color, but speckled with dots of black skin.

I did take a notice of all the "rooster's" legs and they are all developing spurs - 1/4"-1/2" long. I have read that it can happen with hens, but typically it is in older hens, not pullets. Is this accurate?

I wish I knew without a doubt that they were roosters or hens. I am leaning more and more everyday to rooster. I guess I better start figuring out how to get rid of them. I was okay with one rooster, but not six, especially without having the benefit of eggs to feed my own brood of kidlets! If we choose to butcher them, do they have to be a certain size/age? [​IMG]

6. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I butcher most of mine right about this age. The reds look maybe a little younger than the black birds, so you might give them another few weeks.

You can post closer pics of each of the red birds if you want. the one in front is a definite male, pretty sure on the back one also but can't see it completely. Pics of the other two to set your mind at rest also.

We have a great meat bird section. Several of us have posted our first time butchering experience. There are also some great videos on youtube.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Cockerels

8. TheGourleyManor

Jul 11, 2016
    I tried to get some better pictures today, but honestly they have suddenly started fighting each other! This just started that last few days. I'll try again tomorrow. They have been attacking my 15 year old boy (and tried to chest bump my little boys - but they are never out with them alone) for a couple weeks now, but they haven't bothered me (or my daughter) until tonight. I was starting to wonder if they just didn't like boys! He has been a caretaker since we got them, so he isn't new to them.

I don't know if I have it in me to do the butchering myself. I love my roosters. But, I know I can't keep them. Are there people that will butcher them for you? For a price, of course?

9. TheGourleyManor

Jul 11, 2016
    They are all the same age actually. Well, except 1 RIR is a couple weeks behind all the others (not in the pic). He is actually the aggressive one of the bunch (second to the heft black one), who is affectionately named Marigold - when we thought he was hopefully a she. lol

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with donrae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by