Trying to figure out the fine line between broody and normal nesting/laying behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Indigosands, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Indigosands

Indigosands Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Yucca Valley, CA
    I have one hen that when she lays, she will scream at anyone who even gets near the coop. If you put your hand near she'll bite you. She lingers on the nest but doesn't stay. Yesterday and today it was as if she got "stuck" in nest mode and when she came out of the coop she was picking things up and throwing them over her back "fluffing nest" style for an hour. Like some sort of tic. She is only 6mos old. Is she trying to go broody or is this common behavior?

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    I have never experienced any of my chickens go broody, but the things you say your chickens do are NOT unlike the things mine do. Mine will stay in their nesting boxes for 1/2 hour sometimes and do not like to be disturbed. they also throw ceder chips and straw over their back like you described. Mine are mostly quite except for certain times they will come out of their boxes squauking after laying. so at the moment id say its normal

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    She doesn't sound broody. If broody they puff up a lot when off the nest. And they stay on it all night, not just during the day. Tossing stuff over the back is a normal "I need to lay an egg" behavior.

4. Indigosands

Indigosands Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Yucca Valley, CA
    whew, that is good to hear. She hasn't been laying very long and I reeeaallly don't want to have to break a broody. She's a RIR for goodness' sake! They're not supposed to do that! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by