Trying to figure out these muscovies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by harleyjo, Jul 5, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I have these 2 new little muscovies. I was told they are about 3 weeks old but I don't know for sure. Anyway, no mama duck. So far I have been feeding them what the previous owner sent home with me which is shelled corn and soy meal mixed. I am trying to figure out for sure what to feed them. I scrambled them some eggs today. I have brought in grass clippings. The other day I took them outside and put them in a wire cage so they could catch some bugs and get out of the house for awhile.

I have filled a oil pan with water to give them a small area to swim in.

My understanding from reading different thigs is that medicated feed is a no no. Is flock raiser medicated? If it is then I wonder if layer crumbles will work. I also read that you can cook soy meal. I do have some soybean meal here, how do I cook it up?

2. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    If you can get some non-medicated chick starter crumble. I was able to get some at my feed store. There is even kosher, organic, starter (who knew?). I started mine on layer at about 10 weeks.

I have heard arguments against soy but i don't remember what they were. Maybe someone on here knows. Eggs are good.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=242460 Will give you good ideas on what to give as treats and what not to feed them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by