Trying to figure out what breed and how old Speckles is :) Can you help please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fcooper, Apr 8, 2012.

1. fcooper

fcooper New Egg

Apr 8, 2012
    Hi
    I bought Speckles 2 weeks ago (as a POL, even though she hasn't laid an egg yet LOL)..
    I'm not sure what breed she is, or how old (maybe age accounts for why she's not laying yet?) - Can you tell from these pics at all please?

Thanks!
    Felicity
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. DelDels

DelDels Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2011
    Lower Slower Delaware
    Her color is called Splash. Which comes from breeding blue and blacks. Some of the chicks come out black, some blue and some splash. This is a popular color in Orpingtons. Since her legs look white (also an Orpington trait), I'd say she is Orpington or part Orpington. They are known for their nice personalities. She should be a very nice hen and lay good large light brown eggs for you.

3. DelDels

DelDels Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2011
    Lower Slower Delaware
    I just noticed her ears look to be white which means she will probably lay white eggs. This also means she is probably a mix breed.

4. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    She could be an Andalusian as they come in blue/black/splash. They have a single comb, white earlobes and lay a white egg. They have more of a slate colored leg and its hard to tell the true color of your hens legs in the picture.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She just looks too heavy bodied to be an Andalusian, don't ya'll think? I thought they were pretty light, not as light as a leghorn but lighter than this hen. Those are some white lobes, though. She looks close to laying, but that comb could be redder I think, so she may still be a few weeks out.

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I think too heavy bodied to be an Andalusian - also I believe blue breeds true blue. Where did you get the chick? That will help a lot in determining the "breed". I think most likely a project bird that was mixed breed.

7. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    She looks like a mix to me! Maybe an Andalusian crossed with either an Orp or a Rock?

8. fcooper

fcooper New Egg

Apr 8, 2012
    Oooohhh - so I spoke to the breeder today (it seems I'm hooked on hens and thinking of getting another LOL) - she is a splash leghorn and is probably a few weeks still off laying :)

9. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I'd be surprised if that is a pure leghorn. The feathers are very loose and the body seems too heavy. It may be that they crossed in orps or another popular BBS breed to get the coloring and now need to breed among the leghorns to regain the traits of the breed.

10. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Yes, definitely not a pure leghorn!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by