Trying to figure out what breed this little chicken is.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lizanne, Sep 15, 2012.

1. lizanne

lizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    So, I pick up this chicken off of Craigslist yesterday - she was free, and the lady said she was her kid's "pet" and they weren't taking care of her anymore.

[​IMG]
    This is the new one.
    [​IMG]
    The new one

[​IMG]
    One of my D'Uccles

She is tiny, and looks a little like my D' Uccles, but there are several differances. I'm thinking she's full grown, because of her feathers and comb, but I'm not sure. Any Ideas?

2. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

She could be a second generation d'uccle cross or an easter egger bantam crossed with old english.She is a nice looking mixed breed.

3. AraucanaAnnie

AraucanaAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe a faverolle cross bantam?

4. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    They are both EE's

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    both appear to be mixed. possible ee's

6. lizanne

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    Interesting....
    They are both tiny, but the new one is even smaller then the other. Like half the size of my silkies, both of the D' Uccles have fully feathered feet and legs, but the new one is completely bare. - I don't know if this is natural, or if for some reason they cut the feathers off - They clipped her wings, but did a really scary job of it.... She is really scared of people, and other chickens, from what we know about her, she was kept in a small rabbit cage all by herself. =(

7. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    clipping foot feathers is very very dangerous because all those feathers are blood feathers, you would be able to tell if she has any leg feathers as you would see them or the shafts (holes) were the feathers belong and she looks like a completely clean legged bird. the d'uccle looks like a blue mottled mix as d'uccles do not come in the color that you have posted up.

8. lizanne

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    Good to know!! Does the same thing go for this one?
    [​IMG]

I've been trying to look at the new one, a little better, so I can check her feet and all that, but I haven't been able to catch the darn bird. [​IMG]

9. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like an attempt at a black mottled d'uccle with some leakage in the hackles as well both are very pretty though

10. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    They all look like d'Uccle mixes to me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by