Trying to figure out what is wrong with these ducklings!

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2021
Hi! I’m new here and I’ve been looking at a bunch of posts trying to figure out if my question could be answered! My fiancé and I have a bunch of chickens and ducks. We went to our local rural king to pick up a birthday gift for my father in law and decided to just take a look at what they had in their poultry section. We were looking and at the very end they had these ducklings that just didn’t seem okay to me. I called my fiancé over and I asked him what he thought and he said they could’ve just gave them a bath! I didn’t think that’s what it was so I stuck my hand in and touched one and they were completely dry! They could not stop pecking themselves and our ducklings looked nothing like this when we got them! I wanna try my best and figure out what’s wrong with them and see if they’re okay to get because I’d like to rescue them and treat them for whatever it is they may have!

Attachments

• 6CB41229-DCD0-49BF-8AC9-E37C248AC3A0.jpeg
    6CB41229-DCD0-49BF-8AC9-E37C248AC3A0.jpeg
    695.7 KB · Views: 80
Call and ask to speak to the manager and tell them what you saw and was wondering what was wrong with the ducklings, if you can't get any answers contact the main office. I would threaten them with animal abuse if they don't do something. They do look like maybe laying in their waste is causing problems. Offer to take them off their hands.
This should not be allowed at all. Without consquences.

Won't be long before burns will cause open sores. But if they can be rescued washed and treated they should recover.

Hi! I’m new here and I’ve been looking at a bunch of posts trying to figure out if my question could be answered! My fiancé and I have a bunch of chickens and ducks. We went to our local rural king to pick up a birthday gift for my father in law and decided to just take a look at what they had in their poultry section. We were looking and at the very end they had these ducklings that just didn’t seem okay to me. I called my fiancé over and I asked him what he thought and he said they could’ve just gave them a bath! I didn’t think that’s what it was so I stuck my hand in and touched one and they were completely dry! They could not stop pecking themselves and our ducklings looked nothing like this when we got them! I wanna try my best and figure out what’s wrong with them and see if they’re okay to get because I’d like to rescue them and treat them for whatever it is they may have!
I feel the best way to tackle this is to make a big deal out of it, but don't buy them. I know you said there was no one at the store to talk to, but surely there were cashiers checking people out? If those are the only people there, you can certainly talk to them, insist to speak to a manager, etc. It doesn't have to be someone near the animals. All buying does is signal the store that the ducklings are selling, and they will just bring in more to sell. If people stop buying when conditions are bad, stores will put in a lot more effort to make sure the animals are taken care of properly.
Bless your heart for caring. Those poor ducklings 😢

W

We called and the manager took it as if it was a joke!
Wow, that is terrible. You need to go over her head. She has a boss, too. District manager, most likely. Do you have social media? Post the picture, the store location and mention how the manager wasn't helpful and laughed at your concerns on their Facebook page or Twitter feed, etc. They will take action because they don't want to get bad PR.

Wow, that is terrible. You need to go over her head. She has a boss, too. District manager, most likely. Do you have social media? Post the picture, the store location and mention how the manager wasn't helpful and laughed at your concerns on their Facebook page or Twitter feed, etc. They will take action because they don't want to get bad PR.
I was thinking of putting it on their Facebook page but I was hoping they would have at least cared when we called!

I was thinking of putting it on their Facebook page but I was hoping they would have at least cared when we called!
We all would hope so, but since the manager is not taking it seriously, you need to put it on social media. It's sad that we have to take those kinds of actions to get companies to do things, but those ducklings need care.

Back
Top Bottom