trying to figure out what killed my rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlackGiantMerlin, Jul 6, 2016.

1. BlackGiantMerlin

BlackGiantMerlin Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    He was almost 8 years old and was a healthy thriving bird for many years. He appeared listless last week the morning after a terrible storm, was gaping and almost seemed to drool. Because he was not in this state constantly I wasn't immediately thinking the worst -- I thought for sure he had some kind of upper respiratory issue as he also stopped crowing. We treated him with colloidal silver and within a few days he seemed to bounce back. We were thrilled. We continued with the colloidal silver -- and yesterday discovered he also had some mites inside his wing feathers. We gave him a dust bath and believed he'd continue to improve. Today we decided to give them all water baths, get rid of our old coops and move the runs (all metal fencing) elsewhere. Started feeling paranoid about mites but with all the photos I've seen and experiences others have shared did not think it would mean the end of the road for him. Then I just read earlier about mites killing chickens within a few days. I am heartbroken and feel like the extended coop stripping out allowed mites to breed and attack him whereas previously we NEVER had this problem. I don't know if he had a secondary issue because of the mites or was targeted because he had an underlying issue. The hen he was with has some leg mite issues which we are treating but she has nothing on her body. Nor does our other hen who was fenced adjacent to them. Last night he wasn't looking well and this morning after bath time and some drying I applied some topical oil of oregano - I know it's strong but I thought a few drops wouldn't hurt and would help get rid of these **** mites. He laid down after his bath -- and took his last breath within the next couple of hours. I feel terrible, for how he must have suffered. It sucks to find your chicken sick and feel so helpless to help them. Has anyone else lost a chicken to mites? Could having some mites have brought on another infection because he was weakened? I just kick myself for not noticing symptoms sooner. And going forward I will do more than DE and have a wood ash bath area for all of them. Missing his crow so much, he was the sweetest rooster!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry for your loss. He sounded like a nice rooster. He may have just been getting old and was just weakened by the mites. Chickens can suffer from many problems internally, such as crop or gizzard blockage, worms, kidney and liver problems, or his heart may have been diseased. You may want to read up on mite treatments, since something stronger, such as permethrin 10% spray or garden dust may be needed. Here are a few articles;
    http://anrcatalog.ucanr.edu/pdf/8162.pdf
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html
    http://countrysidenetwork.com/daily...ern-fowl-mites-red-mites-on-chickens-poultry/

3. BlackGiantMerlin

Sep 21, 2010
    Thanks Eggcessive, we have lived green for about 15 years now including with our chickens and don't want to introduce chemicals. In spite of what happened to our rooster, and wanting answers, we believe he lived longer and healthier because we always used natural care methods. But the one big one we hadn't been using that I am seeing everywhere now is wood ash! Had no idea that was so beneficial but will start using it as quickly as we can burn some wood here. BTW, what is supposed to be the typical rooster lifespan?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some natural farmers also use neem oil, but as with wood ash it might need to be applied daily, and even wood ash can be harmful if overused. Permethrin is more natural than some treatments.

5. BlackGiantMerlin

Sep 21, 2010
    With the wood ash, I would simply add it to the DE and sand in their run so they can do their own daily dirt bath. I guess people use it as a treatment but also provide it so the chickens can do what they naturally do with dirt bathing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by