1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trying to figure out what she's doing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fringe, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Fringe

Fringe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2014
    Connecticut
    My Rhode Island Red pullet (around 15 weeks old) was sitting on the ramp to the pop door today. Then she'd all of a sudden stretch out her neck and open her mouth wide almost like a rooster looks when he crows except her head wasn't back. But no sound came out. She did this several times. Didn't seem in distress and was breathing okay etc... Then she walks down the ramp and starts scratching around in the dirt and picking out tidbits and seemed fine.

Any ideas? A friend of mine that owns chickens has seen his hens do this on occasion and thinks maybe something like a piece of grass is stuck down there and tickling or something. He's had chickens for several years and never had anything happen to his after seeing that.

I was worried for a bit but then she seemed fine. If she wasn't so old and the smallest one of the four I just got I'd have almost thought maybe I got a rooster. Just put them in for the night and she seemed fine.

Has anyone else seen this and know what it means?

Thanks,
    Heather

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Chickens commonly do this to adjust their crop after eating or if a bit of something is stuck as well.

3. Fringe

Fringe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2014
    Connecticut
    Whew. Thanks. That's what my friend thought also. Even though it had me slightly concerned it was very comical. I would love to get a picture of one of them doing it sometime.
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by