Trying to figure out whats going on here.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yotetrapper, May 18, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    ok, so today is only day 20, but last night my chicks were hatching like gangbusters. 16 out so far. This morning, there were several eggs pipped, but since then, they look the same. No zipping at all, just one little pip. Some of those pips show membrane, others aren't through the shell at all, only cracked. It's like they just stopped.

So do I just keep waiting on those and see what happens?

Oh, and one more question. One of my little banty eggs that was pipped got shoved by the hatched chicks into the broken shell of a larger std egg, so that the pipped part of the egg is totally inside of the larger shell. What do I do about that??

Thanks!

Angela

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

There is a good read at the top of this ("Incubating & Hatching Eggs") forum. It's a sticky note called Read Me's on Hatching. It really helped last night when I had a problem.

To answer your first question. It's your call. Read the sticky and read the advice that others will give. I can't really answer because I'm not there. I did intervene last night in a similar situation and the chick is alive but way behind the others from the hatch.

OK, I changed my mind about answering. I would wait awhile.

Your second question about the banty egg in the big shell. Take it out and turn it pip up.

3. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I set mine in egg cartons to hatch so they wouldn't get kicked around. I helped aa baby out and thank God I did. It was just too big to get out. I saw beak and then it quit moving 4 around 12 hours. Membrane dried out. It's your call. If its just a tiny pip with no membrane and air hole I'd leave those aloone.

4. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    <<Your second question about the banty egg in the big shell. Take it out and turn it pip up.>>

So I should open the bator up during the hatch to do that??

5. dacjohns

This is just my personal opinion.

Take into account that I have hatched with an incubator once and that was over 6 years ago.

Open it and do it real quick. I don't know what kind of temperature and humidity fluctuation you will get though. You might also want to get some advice from some of those that have hatched lots of chicks from incubators before you open it.

6. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Well, I had to do it. I shone my flashlight into the larger egg shell and could see feathers in there. I opened it up, and that egg was wedged into the larger shell so hard I couldnt get it out without breaking away the larger shell. Once I did, I saw the chick already had his half of his own shell removed. He is now out all the way and doing fine. The humidity only dropped 1 degree.

I was on the phone with my Mom as this was going on, and as I was talking to her, that chick and two others hatched right before my eyes, was sooo cool.

I am now up to 19 alive and well!!

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

8. dacjohns

That's great. Exciting isn't it.

9. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Yes very exciting, but now I have a problem. Humidity keeps climbing!! is up to 86 now!! What can I do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by