trying to figure pullet or roo

Guinns chicks

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 14, 2014
Hi our babies are 12 days old and most have doubled in size but still trying to figure out pullet or roo.
Wellsummers.
Light Brahmas.
Barred Rock.
and Black Jersey Giants.
Any help please. Had someone tell us at least 2 are boys trying to figure it out.

They're too young except for your Rocks, sorry. Post again at 5-8 weeks.

For the Rocks, the one on the left and the one in the middle are most likely pullets (I'm a bit on thee fence on the one on the left from what I can see.) The one on the right is definitely a cockerel. You can tell by the head spot on Barred Rocks, but the other breeds don't have such signs so young.

Last edited:
They're too young except for your Rocks, sorry. Post again at 5-8 weeks.

For the Rocks, the one on the left and the one in the middle are most likely pullets (I'm a bit on thee fence on the one on the left from what I can see.) The one on the right is definitely a cockerel. You can tell by the head spot on Barred Rocks, but the other breeds don't have such signs so young.
x2

Hi our babies are 12 days old and most have doubled in size but still trying to figure out pullet or roo.
Wellsummers.
Light Brahmas.
Barred Rock.
and Black Jersey Giants.
Any help please. Had someone tell us at least 2 are boys trying to figure it out.

For welsummers, girls have eyeliner and a darker, more defined V on the head. Boys have no eyeliner and a less defined, smudged v on head. Most are easy to tell, but some are iffy. Best to sex early, so not sure if you can tell this late.

Any guesses on breed? I'm assuming she is a pullet. She? Is around 4 months old. And she has little black spots on her feathers. Came from Atwoods.

NOT a white Leghorn, 100%--white Leghorns will not have any other color on them but white. This is a white Leghorn cross bred for production, and could have one of many names. You'll have to look at Atwood's breed list to figure this one out.

Hi our babies are 12 days old and most have doubled in size but still trying to figure out pullet or roo. Wellsummers.
Light Brahmas.
Barred Rock.
and Black Jersey Giants.
Looks like you have two pullets and a rooster on the Welsummers, based on the "eyeliner" being dark on the girls.

NOT a white Leghorn, 100%--white Leghorns will not have any other color on them but white. This is a white Leghorn cross bred for production, and could have one of many names. You'll have to look at Atwood's breed list to figure this one out.
O agreed! I should really not skim the post, I always miss the most important part lol

Back
Top Bottom