Trying to find a local place for Silkie Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happybooker1, Oct 8, 2012.

1. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    I live North of Houston. I have found 2 hatcheries 'close' ('close' being relative in Texas): Boyd Farms in Conroe which only have Blue Silkies, and T&R Rare Poultry in Iola Texas (about 1.5 hours from me).

I emailed them both on Saturday about availability of hatching Silkie eggs and have had no response from either of them. Should I try to find a phone number and call? The website just has a form to fill out for 'contact us'.

Anyone dealt with either of these companies or have a different idea?

2. Texasmja

Texasmja Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    This is the FIRST time I have ever heard of T&R and when I did a google search the address is on CR172, I live right down from there. If it is the place I am thinking of, it is next to Evergreen Baptist Church, the place looks like a junk yard from the road...

Have you tried Ideal Poultry for chicks?

3. happybooker1

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    Since I have had a failure (probably) with shipped eggs -- can't count on the PO even with Priority Mail -- I was looking for somewhere I could drive to get the eggs. I was leaning towards T&R just because they have many colors -- not just Blue.

4. Brookhavens

Brookhavens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2012
    Brooksville,FL
    Have you checked Craigslist? I had been searching for a certain breed and when I did a search in my area of craigslist I ended up finding 2 people who live within an hours ride of me.

5. Texasmja

Texasmja Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    I did see someone on Craigslist (College Station area) that had show quality Silkies...

http://collegestation.craigslist.org/grd/3321587935.html

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  6. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    You may try looking on CL and ask people that are selling silkies if they also have fertile eggs for sale.

7. happybooker1

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    Thanks. I called them and they don't have any eggs available now.

8. Fur N Feathers

Fur N Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    How far are you willing to drive? I think FowlsRus (I THINK that's her name) sells Silkie eggs just about all year round. She is in Shertz which is on the Austin side of San Antonio. She has sold both on eBay and here if I am not mistaken. I'll try and look her up for you if that is not too far.

Here's a link for her egg ad:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...clude-lav-pi-buff-paint-white-partridge-b-b-s

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by