Trying to find out breed and gender!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cotuitchickens, Aug 1, 2013.

1. cotuitchickens

cotuitchickens Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2013
    We adopted this chicken about month ago and it is starting to look and act alot different compared to the others. Not shy at all wants to know exactly what is going on, starting to become very verbal, taller than the rest, and the tail feathers are straight across.
    Any information on breed and gender would be greatly appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Looks like a red sex link pullet

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    The color is typical of a red sex link pullet, like the Red Stars etc. But, unless it is just the photos / camera angle, that bird is really upright and leggier and narrower than they usually are. The Red Stars are usually very outgoing friendly birds and can be very bossy with the other chickens.

4. annewandering

annewandering Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Idaho
    It does look like a red sex link but the stance reminds me a lot of leghorns. Is it possibly a cross between the two? I dont remember what chickens are used for making rsl but am wondering it one of the mix is a leghorn and this is one that leans strongly to that gene?

5. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You know, you're right, I didn't think of that. You can use some colored leghorns, or buff minorcas in red sex-link crosses, that should give a nice light brown egg layer for sure.

1 person likes this.
  6. cotuitchickens

May 13, 2013
    Hmmmm...very interesting. So there would be no chance that this is a roo?

7. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    How old is it? It looks like a girl right now, but could be a really immature roo if it is not a first generation sex-link and If it just by chance happens to have the red sex link girl color. It could be a breeding that was second or third generation red sex link chickens, and those can be any color in their background and are not sex linked. After annewandering said that, I did wonder about the red sex link using something other than the usual breeds because that looks like a buff minorca in the background and you can use those.

8. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    No chance whatsoever, red sex-link roosters or even red sex-link cross roosters are always lighter than females. This chicken is a pure-breed red sex-link pullet.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It looks like a pullet. Coloring can be tricky as red sex links only breed true for the first generation. Many breeds can be used to create sex links.

10. cotuitchickens

May 13, 2013
    I would say it is approx 7-8 weeks old. We got this one at the end of June and it still had some baby feathers. We also believe that we have the sister to this one and they are so different. This one is very tall and long legged and thee tail feathers are so different!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by