Trying to find out the gender of this Chantecler

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Puzzle Piece, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Puzzle Piece

Puzzle Piece Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2014
    I have one Chantecler that I am questioning if it is a hen or a roo (sorry the pictures turned out dark) as it's feather's on the back are different then the girls and more like the two cross breed ones we know are roos... :( So much for my 6 egg layers.

This one was born in the "summer" so it is probably 5-8 months old.

Apparently I shouldn't be picking out hens in a field when it is in the middle of a snow storm!

Thank you for your help![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. Ruthster55

Ruthster55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    Might be a boy but be nice and wait a week or two for nicer weather.

The picture exposure isn't your fault. It's because of the reflectivity of the snow.

3. Puzzle Piece

Jan 28, 2014
    After it being -30 celcius (-20F) for the past few weeks the chickens flew out the chicken door as soon as I opened it today to enjoy the fresh air and warmth as it was 5 Celcuis (41F) today.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    That's a rooster, them are saddle feathers you are seeing alright. If the hens you got are of the same breed, you could start a flock of them. I know this breed needs more dedicated breeders to them. There's a thread for them in the "breeds, genetics, and showing" section.

1 person likes this.
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Full profile shots are best for sexing, but I'm pretty sure I'm seeing saddle feathers also.

6. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Definite male, covered in male feathers.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You have a cockerel.

8. Puzzle Piece

Jan 28, 2014
    Thanks everyone, that is what I thought. Not what I had originally hoped for, but seeing the situation has happened we are discussing letting some breed and maybe get another hen or two from a different flock to avoid too much inbreeding. This one seems much nicer then the other two roosters. We ended up 50/50, so hubby says I can never be the one to pick out hens again. [​IMG] I need to remember that many of the "prettier" ones are boys. However having this many roos has brought up the question of the pot if we can't find homes for them. I was just planning on letting the girls have great lives until natures end. [​IMG] I hear they are a delicious bird...

9. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Most home grown chicken is great :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by