1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trying to find out what these are? Help please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Puzzle Piece, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Puzzle Piece

Puzzle Piece Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2014
    Hi There,

Someone advertised 2 Isa Browns and 4 bantam Silkies. I replied and she said she had 3 brownish Silkies, and one white with a smooth head. When I said I hadn't wanted Isa's but I would take them (she wants to keep them together) and told her I have a Blue Laced Wyandotte, she said "oh yes, that is what they are Wyandotte". But I don't think they look like those, nor do the silkies look like silkies. She also said her rooster was a Blue Jersey Giant, which made me happy as I like my Jersey Giant, however when she sent the picture, I am sure it is a Plymouth/Barred Rock.

Anyway if you could help me figure out what these are I would greatly appreciate it. I have to be honest, my daughter was SO excited to be getting 3 partridge Silkies and a White Silkie, that is not what I see, doesn't even have the hair like feathers...

[​IMG] Rooster & Silkies?

[​IMG] Rooster called Blue Jersey Giant, I am thinking Plymouth/Barred Rock?

[​IMG] Rooster and 4 Silkies, the one has a little of the "hair" so I am guessing a cross, actually it's moving so it's a blurr, Cochin crosses maybe?
    [​IMG] Apparent silkies, 1 with smooth head?

[​IMG] Front 2 ladies on the ground, called Isa Brown or Wyandotte

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  2. hope4rainbow

hope4rainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Send her an email back and ask her for the pics of the birds you're supposed to be getting, as she sent the wrong ones.
    Well....maybe that would be rude.....

I dont know if she was highly misinformed and just went with it or is hoping like heck you think most chickens look like White Leghorns so anything elae is just cool, but either way, she is so, so very WRONG!!!!

3. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Absolutely none of those birds are silkies. Silkies have a different textured feather, more fluffy, fur like feathers instead of hard, smooth ones. Silkies also should have black skin and 5 toes. They may be silkie mixed by the crest on that one but that is all. This is one of my splash silkies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  4. Puzzle Piece

Jan 28, 2014
    Thank you, that is what I was expecting them to look like! Your silkies are beautiful!

5. Puzzle Piece

Jan 28, 2014
    I know! I am SO glad I asked for photos, but now I am torn as to what to do. If I add to my flock, I would really like specific things, Silkies weren't one of the ones I was thinking, but my daughter would LOVE it, so I decided to reply. But I already said I would also take the rooster, so if I am adding an entire flock essentially, I would like it to be certain things. I don't even like the eyes of those supposed silkies, I know that is mean, sorry. I was just hoping to find out what they are, then maybe I can research the breeds they are and go from there.

I feel awful as I have already said we would home them, but they are not what I was expecting at all! So if I am not going to take them I want to let her know as soon as possible.

They have raised them since chicks, so I would guess that is what the people told her, so I would guess she doesn't know any better. Myself I am still learning but those happen to be breeds I am familiar with and those are not them.

Is the roo a Plymouth/Barred Rock do you think?

I am SO torn! [​IMG] I would feel terrible to go back on my word, thank goodness I asked for photos.

6. Puzzle Piece

Jan 28, 2014
    So you think White Leghorns?

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Explain to her that the pictured birds are not what you expected; you are sorry but you don't think they will work out after all........

8. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

You shouldn't feel bad about not being able to take birds that were advertised falsely. You agreed to take silkies. Those are not what you agreed to take. I'm not a big expert on telling the barred breeds apart. I only know he's not a Dom. for sure. Maybe Barred Rock.

Do not feel obliged to add birds to your flock that you do not want.You would have to quarantine then to prevent possible illness spreading and completely change the dynamics and pecking order. If you don't really want them then the risk and trouble isn't worth it. Just tell her that you cannot take those and you will have done the responsible thing on your end.

9. Puzzle Piece

Jan 28, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Just to check as I am not familiar with this breed, are these New Hampshire Reds?

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I see a bunch of mixed breed birds. The rooster isn't pure Rock--and what's up with that comb, anyway? I see one probably hatchery/production red hen, the rest are mixed breed hens, with some silkie ancestry, but probably not a first generation cross. Just tell her the birds aren't what you're looking for and continue your search.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by