Trying to get into the duck house?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TLWR, Sep 24, 2011.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    This is new in the last couple of days. Looks like cat prints to me and scratching as well.
    Only thing I've seen in our fenced back yard is squirrels and the dogs try to keep them in the trees. Our neighbor does have an outdoor kitten that adopted them and had kittens a few months ago, so there are lots of cats around, but I've never seen any on our property and never in the back yard.

Cat?
    The roof of the duck house lifts open for cleaning, I've not worried about latching it since it is in our fenced back yard and then inside the little fenced duck/dog yard - but you can reach the roof of the duck house from the deck (I was standing on our deck to take the first photo)
    Do I need to worry about whatever this is that is scratching at the roof of the duck house trying to get in and snack on my 2 runners?

from above
    [​IMG]

close up of the side in the duck yard, the roof part that opens
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:It's hard to tell for sure but that doesn't look like cat prints to me, more like coon. maybe not coon either but thinking for sure not cat.

3. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    The foot prints themselves do not look like raccoon, they look like cat prints. The scratches seem too much for just a cat from my experience, but I've not been around cats for a long time, so I really have no clue what they are capable of.

close up of the close up - cat prints and no idea of nail/scratches.

I'm in southern/gulf coast of AL

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  4. wholewheatchicken

wholewheatchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Lebanon, Ohio
    My guess is not cat either. We have several cats and that doesn't look like a cat print. My first thought was coon also, but I don't know what their prints look like.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't think it's cats, they don't show nail marks when walking and the prints are too long and boney. Looks like front feet on a raccoon. Your dog house looks solid to me, I don't think they could get in unless the door is easily opened. I just found one print in my raised flower bed that looks like a big (not domestic) Cat. I know we don't have them around here unless someones pet lion or something got loose. But it's also odd because just one print, where did the other feet go? That's why so many people like to get the game cameras and see what is wondering around their property.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sorry meant to write "duck house."

7. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
  8. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    ok, went out and took a few more closer pics.
    The deepest scratches are at the bottom edge of the roof. The prints, I really have no idea how they were left on the roof. It isn't dusty - the paint is fading, but how long did whatever it was stand there to leave prints! Just another oddity for me. Regardless, I'm glad they left them so I know that something may be trying to get my ducks.

Here are the more pics - sorry, sun is setting, hard to get good ones.

a clear print with 4 toes - all the prints seem to have 4 toes and resemble this one
    [​IMG]

the top of the back side of the roof that is facing the deck
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the bottom edge of the roof
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Possum or Skunk perhaps?