Trying to get my stuff figured out for muscovies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LaurelC, Jan 2, 2014.

1. LaurelC

LaurelC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    I have FINALLY sold my husband on getting some muscovies. In order to make this go smoothly, I need a pretty solid plan in terms of housing for them. We have a large back yard, but are in a neighborhood with 1/4 acre lots and I don't want the ducks running around (additionally, we have 2 malamutes that would happily make any free ranging ducks lunch). I'd like a large enough enclosure to keep them happy and safe.

I have a shady corner in the yard (the only place in the yard that gets shade during the summer) that I'd like to put them in, but it's on a slope. I figured that the most cost-effective way to do this would be to get a large chain-link dog kennel, and build a level base out of pressure treated lumber and chicken wire over cattle panel, bury that, and somehow mount the dog kennel to the base, then build a small shed and some sort of roosting perch in the kennel. Then make some sort of truss to mount on the top of the kennel and mount clear plexi roofing on half, and chicken wire on the other half. Is this totally insane?

What size enclosure would be ideal for ducks that essentially do not leave the kennel, except when supervised by me, maybe once a week when I'm outside working in the yard or supervising? What am I overlooking?

2. maxpedley

maxpedley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    How many muscovies? I would give them as much space as possible, part in and part out of the shade. Do not worry about the slope as this will work in your favour as ducks need drainage as they have a way of getting water everywhere. Make sure the birds can not escape as muscovies are strong flyers so either a net roof or clipping their wings would be the answer.

3. LaurelC

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    I could easily make half the shelter unshaded. I will add that to the list.

I was thinking of 3 to start, but I'm unsure whether I'd like to just eat whatever eggs they lay, or allow one clutch a year to grow to adulthood for meat.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    In Storey's Guide, they write that they have a shelter with 6 feet per bird for large birds with temperaments that require some space, 10 square feet per bird of a bedded outside yard, and a grassy yard with some shade, and 50 square feet per bird.

They then suggest a minimum of 10 to 25 square feet per bird for the duck yard. I would think you would want the larger sized area for muscovies. 9 x 9 would give you 81 square feet and just over 25 sf per bird, for three.

I learned to size pens and housing up, as my original idea for three ducks is currently ancient history - we have 13 now.

Glad I oversized everything.

5. LaurelC

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    Yeah, I figure it couldn't hurt to go bigger than what seems reasonable to begin with. My husband works at a lumber yard, so building a pressure treated Enclosure may be a better option.

6. maxpedley

maxpedley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    I built an aviary for some pheasants that with a few adjustments could work
    It was 2.5 metre timber by 1.8 metre. We made 4 of these frames and covered them with chain link. I think if you made maybe 6 sections instead this would be fine for a trio of muscovies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by